• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regulations: SVFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one is going to give you a Special VFR clearance to bounce around in the pattern, because you'll be tying up their airspace for any IFR traffic that wants to come it. SVFR is to get in or get out of an airport, not to be out there screwing off doing touch and goes.

The reason you need to be instrument rated for night SVFR is because if you've ever done it, you know that night SVFR is IFR. There's no way in hell you're staying clear of any clouds other than on accident.

Once out of class e into class g, with an instrument rated pilot and airplane, you can proceed IMC in uncontrolled airspace with no clearance.

That's a valid point that I hadn't thought of.

As far as doing touch-n-goes SVFR, I agree that it's pointless. It's doesn't teach good weather decision-making habits. You'll most likely be flying at a lower altitude which doesn't help learning normal traffic pattern approaches. And you'll be tying up IFR traffic, because they must legally separate you to the same degree as other IFR traffic.

But you can't because the field is not IFR. Try it sometime.

Exactly....and it doesn't matter whether you ask for SVFR to stay in the pattern or just depart. I asked for a special VFR once just to depart when the ceiling was around 1100' AGL and was given 'the field is VFR' response.

Latest resources

Back