Regular Yoke vs. Side stick

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which one pays more?

It was assuming all things being equal - pay, work rules, etc.

Flown all three: Yoke, Handlebars, Side stick.

I will take the side stick any time. The Airbus family is a much more comfortable place to make your living in. Plus you get to eat like a civilized human being.

The reality is there is very little time during a flight in an airliner that you are using the yoke. For the 777/747 guys who are flying 10 plus hours, they may hand fly the aircraft for 2-3% of the time (on a ten hour flight 3% is 18 minutes of hand flying). For most airlines they actually hand fly less than 1% of the time. For the rest of the time you have this big decorative yoke just getting in the way. The Airbus side stick took me only a few minutes to get used to and it feels very natural to fly using it now.

Flown all three also..

Handlebars: Ok, except I didn't like it during crosswind landings.
Yoke: Good natural feel, but it takes up too much room unnecessarly (especially Boeings)
Side stick: Hands down the best, in terms of feel, and comfortablity.

Side stick is far hands down the best. Guys who talk about feel and all that other are way off. You know how you have a crosswind? Look at the nose of the aircraft and see where it's pointed.

Side Stick. Easy question. Cockpit is way more comfortable and besides that the cabin is much more comfortable for the pax. 320 series is bigger compared to 737ng. More room equals more comfort. Plus boeing is rolling airplanes off the line today (year 2013) with 1960's technology overhead ie manually turning packs on/off to start engines.

Side stick I great, except when your teaching IOE to a new hire.

Wing down-top rudder still works fine with the sidestick if you wait until the flare to kick it in.

Hard to tell if the other guy/gal is "stirring the pot" with windy landings.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back