• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

regs for experimentals

chongololo

Total Time
hi guys
forgive me if this is a thread that's already been beaten to death but i've just joined.
what are the basic rules regarding flying experimental aircraft? what about flying into an airport with a control tower, flying at night, etc,etc...?
i'm looking into a Murphy Rebel, any ideas on this particular plane?
thanks

USMCmech

Total Time
Expirimental aircraft can do anything and everything a manufactured airplane can. Provided they are apropriately equiped (lights, radios, ect).

The only restriction is not carrying people or property for hire.

There is an exemption through the EAA that allows flight instruction for hire in an experimental. You'll have to contact them for all the details.

Murphy's planes are good kits. I prefer the RVs myself, but I have heard good things about the Rebel.

avbug

Total Time
n/a
Your initial few hours of flying will have restrictions attached to them with respect to wehre you an fly, but that's about it.

chongololo

Total Time
thanks for the replies.
the Murphy Rebel is owned by a friend of mine and there is a chance of flying it and or buying in as a partner. the plane is already built and has the initial hours flown off it.
the plane is operated at this guys strip on his property.
can experimentals file for and fly ifr if equipped?