Regional Pilots, Worth it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Luchini

Are you guys that have been in regionals for a few years happy with where you are at and where you are going. It seems like the first couple years a regional FO are tough because you are working your butt off for 20,000 a year but what about 3-5 years later? Do you often get more then the minimum guranteed hours and if so how many hours of flight time do you average? How many years did it take for some of the pilots in your company before they upgraded to captain? Was it worth it? Do you plan to stay at your regional or upgrade to the majors later down the road?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to gather as much information as possible before deciding to pursuing a career in aviation. I dont mind busting my chops for the first couple years as a rookie but after a few years of hard work I hope that you guys finally get compensation that is above the average income (28,000) for a job that requires alot of responsibility. Just because you guys are flying because you enjoy it doesnt mean the regionals should exploit that. (at least in my opinion but then again maybe the regionals can only afford to give pilots that much and no more)

LuchiniAre you guys that have been in regionals for a few years happy with where you are at and where you are going.

I'll second that with a very big NOOOO. Save yourself man, you've still got time!

Keep in mind the most bitter and unhappy people in the industry are on this board. Most would not be happy no matter what. Its all what you make of it. I fly with unhappy people at this level and extremely happy people too. Your attitude is what makes this job - not the pay or benefits. I enjoy my job but it's not the only thing that determines my happiness. Plus, you'll find its not "cool" to like your job anymore once you get here. You fit in much better if you do nothing but b1tch all the time :p .

No, the regional thing is not very good, unless you're just in it because you love flying and just want/have to do it.

My suggestion is just keep pugging for that interview with a major. They make better money and the quality of life is much better.

Regionals - on the outside looking in

I was 36 when I decided on an aviation career in 1987. The regionals were always my goal. I had two friends who were my age who were hired, so I thought if they could do it, I could do it. There were no jets yet, so I would have been perfectly happy being a regional captain on props. I was never in it for the money, which would have been enough to pay my bills and put food on the table. If I had made it, I would have been among the first to upgrade to jets. That would have been icing on the cake.

People say I haven't missed out on much. Perhaps. Negatives, to me, include working on holidays, weekends and stand-up overnights. Positives include having thirteen days off a month (at my job I have weekends only, for eight days per month, two consecutive days only). I love to instruct, so bucking for a job in the training department or stan/eval would have been on my agenda. Of course, the money, in terms of the responsibility, is never enough. Just the same, it's hard to believe that I haven't missed out when you're on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Not only well worth it, but I would not do anything else if I could. My ultimate goal is to go to a major someday, but if I end up spending my entire career at a regional I will still thank God that I was allowed to do what I love for a living.

I worked at jobs I hated until I was 33, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The money at a regional isn't that great, but I wasn't doing it for the money. More money would be great, as would a better QOL, but I make enough to live the way I want, and I'm doing what I love to do, so I guess I'm pretty lucky overall.

atrdriver

I don't think you've missed much. I don't consider myself to be a very bitter person but I really think this career comes up short when I look at friends of mine who went into different careers. They have about the same time off and our pay at the regionals, even captain pay, is a joke compared to what they pull in. Don't mean to complain just telling it like it is. The funny thing is that a forty hour work week starts to look real good after being in the airlines for several years.

I love flying airplanes but often I wish I'd gone to med/law/business school and bought a plane on the side instead. I've flown with pilots that enjoy what they do but I would say that 90% of them would do all they could to steer their kids away from this career.

Luchini a few very lucky people in this career make it big but their numbers are dwindling and you have to consider the flip side. It all depends on your expectations. If you'll be happy topping out at 60k with 13 days off per month then by all means go for it and anything extra will be icing on the cake. But if in the back of your head you're hoping for 200k with a solid retirement, some nice toys, and a big house on the coast then avoid this career at all costs. And for godsakes don't listen to a word that Kit Darby says or prints. He could get you excited about the job prospects in the Mexican sweatshop industry.

Luchini- I think that it really depends on where you are in the hiring cycle. I was lucky enough to upgrade on the CRJ in 2 1/2 years so for me the career has been pretty good. Now, the average at my airline is probably 5? At FO pay that would be tough. However, if you can fly a bunch you can do ok. I made 38k my second year (including per diem).

I am holding a relief line so I don't know the schedule till the 27th. I average 82 hours a month flying. I have been with the airline 4 years and my check ending 7/31 puts me at 39k year to date (per diem included)

I am satisfied with the job. It can be a blast at times and a pain!! Monday night I got to test flight an RJ with just my FO and a mechanic. That was a fun flight.

I am closing in on the magic 1000 PIC. But, no plans to look elsewhere (yet). I want to see what happens to Mama Delta and our contract.

Aviation is a cruel mistress!! There are a lot of people whose careers have been ended because of one bad decision or they are on the street because they moved up to larger equipment and got furloughed. You just never know in this business. The right decision (at the time you think) can come back and bite you on the a$$.

I wish you the best in your career plans. It is a great career if your timing is right.

Cheers, Wil

Duh,
5 years at SKYW, all in the right seat(QOL is #1 for me) I would have to say nope! If I knew then, what I know now I would have decided to do something else, I am not bitter or unhappy, the job is just not that good! I like to fly, but airline ops are about moving people with airplanes, not providing pilots with a fun, enjoyable experience. I average between 30-35k per year and average about 750-800 block. The work rules are everything and they are just not there at the regional level. I average 13-15 days off a month with 300-320hrs away from base. You might say 13-15 days off... think 300 hrs away from base means no bills get paid, lawns mowed, clothes washed, car worked on until return to base and a commute home. Bottom line, run fast towards another industry!
I wish I had more positive advice, but this is not a good time to be starting into this industry.
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back