• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

regional pay 10 years ago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>>>No more hand flying for 8 hrs a day making 9 landings and putting in 15 hrs of duty<<<

Oh, almost forgot, I think I am going to have to disagree with THIS... I remember more than a few 10-leg days in my time flying 1900's! Only two years ago but it seems like a century with what's happened in the interim...

remember what it gets you....

theres a little financial book that equates the present dollar values to past dollar values. example...a new nice volvo in 1979 cost you something around $3500. a chevy of some kind a bit less. now its how much? helluva lot more ill tell you that.

so what was $10 an hour in the late 80's likely to get you then and whats its equavilancy now? if i had that little book id look it up. but i cant right now. im havving enough trouble finding gas money to use to travel to the library and look it up for free....being newly furloughed and all.....goddammit.

You have a computer...........look it up on the Internet. Lots of inflation calculators there. Whay waste gas going to the library?:)

"a new nice volvo in 1979 cost you something around $3500. a chevy of some kind a bit less."

Rose-colored glasses, perhaps?.

My parents' Chevy Monte Carlo cost more than $3500, and that was in 1972.

A Monte Carlo in 1979, by comparison, couldn't be had for under $5500, and the top-line model based at $6500.

Not to mention that a Volvo was not what most people would have considered "nice" in 1979, no matter how much it cost. Volvos of the time are square, slow, and dorky. It is only much more recently (latter half of the 80's and on) that they have become status cars, and later still that they were legitimately considered "luxury" cars.

A bit off-topic, I know, but it's just as easy to get this stuff right as it is to get it wrong. :)

Last edited:
Bra:

Some answers to your questions:

July 1988 WestAir new hire on the EMB-110
1900 total, 163 Muliti

Back then they counted multi instructor time as double so that helped a little. WestAir was one of the ones that pretty much required an ATP as well.

Off the top of my head the pay was right around $12,500 first year, but upgrades came in the 6 to 9 month range and it went up to $22,000/year as a first year captain. The Bae-146 Captains were over $50,000 per year. One EMB-120 check airman pulled in $75,000 with overtime.

Fast forward to 1991 for the second answer. Again this is off the top of my head so it isn't precise.

USAirways furloughed close to 750 by late summer early fall 1991. They called back more than half within 6 months. The other 302 stayed out until October 1998.

TWA furloughed in 1991, somewhere in the 200 to 300 range.

Northwest furloughed something around 200, maybe less. They got a few of them jobs as cruisers at KLM.

American didn't furlough until 1993 then they had about 600 guys on the street until 1996.

United did not furlough but they did accept leaves without pay.

Not sure about the rest.

Concessions:

USAirways signed a concessionary contract in 92 or 93. Most of the concessions were in the form of duty and trip rig give backs and other similar issues that created the need to work about two to three more days per month.

TWA pilots were faced with a lot. They voluntarily dropped down to 65 hour months to prevent further furloughs. I remember running into a 15 year TWA 767 F.O. in the mid 90s who told me he only made in the $75,000 per year range. Yikes :(

United completed their famous ESOP in the mid 90s and they took some cuts ( or maybe lack of increases ) to pay for it.

Continental already had horrible pay scales and benefits thanks to multiple bankrupties and Frank Lorenzo.

As others have said, it was bad, but this time is worse.

Typhoonpilot

metrodriver said:
... but on the other hand you have autopilots, fms, pretty good a/c and a few other gadgets to make life a little easier. No more hand flying for 8 hrs a day making 9 landings and putting in 15 hrs of duty

My line for the past 6 months is 7.7 hours of credit, 11 hour duty day, and 7 legs. But I have 33 hours in 7 and 14 days off. Some of the PIT lines are 11 legs and 15 hour duty day. this is on the 1900 of course.

The Captain I have now says his dad worked for Air Midwest back in 1985. Back then the Metro and Saab captins made like 35-40K. IN 1985!!

I know there are a few of us still flying 19 seat turboprops without the fancy stuff making long days. It seems though that the rest flying the replacement jets have it quite a lot easier with all the fancy equipment installed, fewer legs and better equipped airports. Most carriers have already parked the turboprops with 19 or 30 seats (S340, SA227, B1900, EMB120), did the salary also almost double (coming from a 30 seater) or tripple (coming from a 19 seater) when you guys took the seat in the replacement jet? Didn't think so. Should it? I do think so. If you're lucky you just got a few extra pennies to fly something with all that fancy stuff. So I think this is going backwards

jetdriven: a couple of years ago I flew a metro for a commuter where our longest day had 9 landings in 7:55 hrs blocktime (only feasible without a cloud in the sky and some good luck with atc). Get up at 0400 in the morning for a 0600 departure, be back home around 7pm. Most flying on one day once was 10.5 hrs

jarhead said:
FDJ

Guess I'm not surprized that you would steet the thread to an rjdc debate. I'd suggest that be left in the courts, as it's been discussed ad nausium on these, and other boards.;)

Jar,

I'm sorry, I reread my post, and didn't notice where I mentioned the rjdc. Perhaps you could refresh my memory?

FDJ

You are correct sir. You did not specifically mention the RJDC.

I made an inference from your statement; "If there's one thing I have learned from these boards it's that ALPA has terribly harmed the careers of regional pilots".

I too, use sarcasm from time to time, and from many of your other well presented arguments on these boards, I thought that is what you were implying. My apologies if that was an incorrect inference of mine.

No need for apology, but in this case, I was not referring to the rjdc. Instead, I was responding to countless regional guys on this forum who blame ALPA for all their problems, neglecting the fact that most are far better under ALPA negotiated contracts than they were before.

While ALPA is not a miracle worker, I do tire of hearing them take all the blame, but be given none of the credit.

However, this perhaps is not the thread for such a debate, and I have tried to stay clear of arguments for the last few weeks, so maybe I should have kept quiet!

Latest resources

Back