Regional Lifestyle ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Padre

Coming from the military, I have very little experience with airline lifestyle....other than the rumors and stories.

If anyone has a few extra minutes, I would appreciate hearing about how life is with Air Wisconsin or Skywest. How many nights are you away from home, and how many hours/days per month do you fly.

Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Padre

Padre-

Well I can only tell you about SkyWest schedules, but I'm sure the other regionals are pretty similar.

We have locals (home every night), 2 day back-to-backs (2day trip, home one night, then another 2 day trip), 3day trips, 4day trips (the majority of our lines), 5day trips (only in the RJ) and trips called stand-ups. Stand-ups are kinda similar to locals. The report time is later in the evening (usually after 7pm), you do one leg to a layover, spend the night, then take the early flight out in the morning. You are usually done by 8:30am so you are pretty much home the whole day. The reason why they are called stand-ups is because you are "technically" on duty all night and you usually get less than 8 hrs of rest. Stand-ups go VERY senior.

The lines range from 12-18 days off a month. The 3day trips generally have the most days off. For reserve lines you get 11 days off a month. You will probably average 75-90 hours of flying a month unless you do stand-ups then they average 30-40 hours a month. Reserve is a whole different story - total crap shoot.

Life at a regional isn't as bad as everyone says it is when you are a junior pilot, but it is as good as everyone says it is once you get a little seniority. :p

Hope this info helps.

CRJDriver, SkyWest lifer :D

CRJ Driver,

Thanks for the info. That does help, I just wonder how similar Air Wis is to Skywest.

Padre

Hey, Padre . . . .

I like your Avatar!!!!

I can tell you that I know that Air Wisconsin has been a decent regional gig for years. People wanted it twelve years ago. It was up there with the other top commuters of the day, such as SkyWest and Horizon.

Nuthin but margarita's, 1st class meals, fast cars and hot flight attendants;)

not to bad, not the best but were trying to fix that:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back