• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
ExpressJet... FYI

Ok, so here's the scoop..

I have had applications in at six different airlines, five of which called for an interview. I interviewed or will interview at the of three these places, and two so far have offered jobs. I have also applied at ExpressJet and have not heard a single, solitary word after having stuff in for 5 months. Not sure what their deal is.

My times are 1200/110, zero turbine, 120 instrument and I have a four year degree.

Just thought you guys who are applying would like to know. I think it takes a loooooooong time. Seems kind of silly to take so long, while pilots they could be hiring are getting picked up elsewhere.

-Goose

Last edited:
Remember, XJT is one of the most desirable regionals to work at right now among a few others. We get alot of people trying to get on from other regionals with more flight time than you.Just hang in there,it took me about 9 months to get on with Expressjet and worth the wait.

Remember, XJT is one of the most desirable regionals to work at right now among a few others. We get alot of people trying to get on from other regionals with more flight time than you.Just hang in there,it took me about 9 months to get on with Expressjet and worth the wait.

Not anymore! I've seen you guys at the Holiday Inn IAH, it looks like they are hiring a bunch of flight instructors - just like EVERYONE else (us included).

My advice: Take the one that affords you the highest QOL and fastest upgrade, as measured by future growth, not past performance.

Remember, XJT is one of the most desirable regionals to work at right now among a few others. We get alot of people trying to get on from other regionals with more flight time than you.

I don't deny that XJT is a great place to be right now, but for those of you interviewing, consider this:

Five years ago, I chose to go to Comair. At the time, it had one of the best contracts/pay rates in the industry, 30+ growth aircraft on order, and upgrade times were dropping.

Now, although we're not the worst around, we've sure fallen a long way. We've signed two concessionary agreements, our pay is pretty low (although we still have some good rigs), we've lost dozens of aircraft through bankruptcy, and the only "growth" is caused by high levels of attrition. We're down to about 1500 pilots, when at one point we were close to 2000.

So, it may not be wise to hold out for the "best" regional out there right now. You might decide that they'll be the next to suffer in the race to the bottom. Even if they don't, don't expect them to be on top for much more than 5 years.

If I had to do it over again, I'd look for a regional getting ready to sign a contract. Management will throw you a lot of crap for a while (but then you're junior on reserve, how much worse could it get?), but there should be labor peace and hopefully growth after the contract gets signed...

As someone told me, no matter what path you choose, at some point in your career, your decision will prove to be horribly, horribly wrong...

Latest resources

Back