• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional FOs going to Fracs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the great replys guys. I was actually pretty lucky in that I jumped at a chance to get my ATP while still at the regionals and was able to get on with NetJets pre-contract. So yes I have home basing.

I opened this thread because I have a friend who maintains a current CFI. He was considering buying a small multi-engine airplane and looking for ways to help pay for it. I told him that there may be some regional FOs that would be interested in doing some ATP training so I thought I'd do some market research on here. After reading your replys though it looks like the domicile thing is a much bigger issue than not having an ATP. Sure wish there was a way I could help you all out with that one.

By the way, NetJets is so much better than life at the regionals it's unbelievable. I didn't think I'd like the 7 and 7 either but now that I'm on it I love it. I'm making twice as much as I was as a regional FO and working less. Not too bad of a deal.

local flight school

nobody cares where you get your ATP. I look at all of the avenues listed above and just went to the school where I got all my other ratings and paid about $3000 including the check ride in a Duchess. To date, I have not seen a pilot certificate that has ALL ATPS next to the rating.

I must admit, after flying an EFIS airplane for a year and going back to round panel, it was very interesting. Remember when we flew for fun?

Go Fly said:
After reading your replys though it looks like the domicile thing is a much bigger issue than not having an ATP. Sure wish there was a way I could help you all out with that one.

When you don't get airline travel benefits, home basing can be a huge issue. Why work for someone if I'm not going to like where I live?

There are other places / fracs out there than NetJets. The biggest problem with NetJets isn't their gateway cities. It's that if you're hired there you're hired as 2,375 of 2,375. How long does that guy have to wait to upgrade? I can't imagine haveing to sling gear that long.

Disclaimer:

The above statements are just my opinion. Not bashing NJI in any way. The actual number of pilots on the NJI seniority list may vary from the above posted numbers. (In fact, I just guessed at them) Fly safe.

Well I don't mind slinging gear for a while as long as I'm gettin paid enough. Actually with benefits and soft pay I'm making more as a first year FO at NetJets than I would as a Captain at the last regional I was at with a much better quality of life. Also, while I would tell most people that upgrades are running four to five years, in actuality, if things continue as they are now, I'll be upgrading this time next year. That would put my upgrade time at two years - not too bad. I'm not counting on that but the numbers are working that way right now. But they are always subject to change.

By the way, we are talking about NJA not NJI. They are two different seniority lists.

NJA keeps approximately 2/3 of the pilot list as Captains for maximum flexability. The seniority list is getting close to 2500 and we will probably hire close to 500 for this year and they are calling for the same for at least another year. Most likely at least 200 will retire when they get their back pay towards the end of this year. There are lots of older pilots here who won't last all that much longer and there are literally hundreds of airplanes on order. Nobody can be sure how long it will take to upgrade, but when you can do almost as well in the right seat here as the left seat at most of the regionals and have half the month off right away, there is some good incentive for regional FOs to get their ATP and come on over. How long will it be at their current regionals slinging gear? How long will they be captains at a regional before getting on to a better job? The domiciles aren't great, but the job is worth it to me and the hundreds of other post contract hires. Also NJI is separate from NJA and has many fewer pilots, better pay, and home basing for all.

Latest resources

Back