Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shroomwell

TO ALL REGIONAL FO's.

Don't you get sick and tired of feeling like you missed the boat so to speak. What I mean is when you are hanging around friends and others who have real jobs. It is sicking how little we get paid. Everyone else is well into their lives making money, owing houses, being able to buy things they want. Meanwhile Regional FO's are scraping by.

It is ridiculous, when you can be playing a cards with a bunch of friends, look around the table and think, "wow I've got a college degree and ten of thousands of dollars in technical training, which is more than most others at the table, and I make half of what the next lowest paid guy makes."

It is a screwed up world we live.

Can anybody think of another job in this country that;
1. Basically requires a college degree
2. Thousands of dollars in technical training
3. Several Years work experience in the field
4. Starting pay around 20,000 per year, oh but wait, you generally make between 30 and 40 you next year. (woopdy doo)

I cant think of any.

I say we all just quit!

This business goes in cycles. The guys in the upper 1/8th of the ASA seniority list waited 5 to 7 years to upgrade making as little as 12K. Now it looks like they were blessed to be in the "right place" at the "right time" holding 18 days off on the CRJ700 for $100K. ( Over 130 if they are an IP, or APD )

My father was furloughed 9 out of the first 16 years of his career and made 747 CA before it was over.

The next turn in the airline cycle you guys will look like visionaries that planned your careers out well. Stick with it.

I've wanted to work for an airline since I was 2 or 3.

I'm currently flying a lot (40 hours/month in a twin) and I make good money, but I still want to work for regional.

The grass is always greener on the other side :)

shroomwell said:
TO ALL REGIONAL FO's.

Don't you get sick and tired of feeling like you missed the boat so to speak. What I mean is when you are hanging around friends and others who have real jobs. It is sicking how little we get paid. Everyone else is well into their lives making money, owing houses, being able to buy things they want. Meanwhile Regional FO's are scraping by.

It is ridiculous, when you can be playing a cards with a bunch of friends, look around the table and think, "wow I've got a college degree and ten of thousands of dollars in technical training, which is more than most others at the table, and I make half of what the next lowest paid guy makes."

It is a screwed up world we live.

Can anybody think of another job in this country that;
1. Basically requires a college degree
2. Thousands of dollars in technical training
3. Several Years work experience in the field
4. Starting pay around 20,000 per year, oh but wait, you generally make between 30 and 40 you next year. (woopdy doo)

I cant think of any.

I say we all just quit!

chperplt said:
Life is what you make of it. If you don't like your job, get a new one.
Amen. Nobody said flying was an easy career to pursue. And yes, I did fly as an FO for a regional, and a very small and low-paying one at that.

I'm full of Questions Tonight..

~~~,

This just happens to be the million dollar question you discussed in this thread....what makes you think there will be a turn around and when do you think that turn around will be.

This is a question I've been asking many of the CAs I've been flying for lately because I'm seriously wondering if I've made a mistake for working so hard to get where I am (Airline Pilot) and am actually second guessing myself here.

I'd like to be optimistic like you but life has taught me to be realistic instead and at this point I'm thinking a few years in this business to see what happens and then it's time to go back and do what I was doing before (which I happen to like by the way just not my passion like flying) and make a good salary doing it.

Anyway....I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Hello,

In the final analysis, one has to ask yourself what it was that attracted you to flying and aviation. This is what will either keep you in it as a lifelong vocation or lead you down a different road.

Regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

I know lots of college grads making no money, can barely pay their student loans.

College is a huge dupe, and people keep paying the ridiculous tuition, and students go out and protest the war, and environment when they should be protesting "what are we paying for"? Two years after college the environment is last thing on their mind.

Latest resources

Back