Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
I heard rumor that Delta was hiring regional FOs for a variety of reasons including that 'they're more trainable (read: less time in the industry, less grouchy).

on the other hand, I've heard that this only happens rarely, and is the result of someone's day, uncle, etc. getting them on.

true?

and as a companion question, what would the chances be of getting SLC right away, and how would reserve there be?

thanks

UP

If you have 1000 hours of turbine time then you technically meet the minimums. So if you've been a regional FO for awhile you do meet the minimums. The minimums are low for the military guys and I've heard competitive minimums for regional guys are 5500 total with at least 1000 TPIC. I also know they have hired with lots less than that. I'm not sure they have hired regional FO's, but they could. If I were a regional FO I would fill the app out, get the recs on it, and do whatever I could to stand out. You never know. As far as the SLC stuff goes, the class that started July 16th has guys that are holding the 767, 737, and MD90 in SLC. Right now you can get anything you want in SLC before you are out of training. Reserve time, probably a couple years on the 75/6, a year on the 737, and a little less than a year on the MD90.

They are hiring WIA FO's and FO's from places like Eagle, where they could not upgrade. They are not going to hurt your career because of where you were.

I heard rumor that Delta was hiring regional FOs for a variety of reasons including that 'they're more trainable (read: less time in the industry, less grouchy).

on the other hand, I've heard that this only happens rarely, and is the result of someone's day, uncle, etc. getting them on.

true?

and as a companion question, what would the chances be of getting SLC right away, and how would reserve there be?

thanks

UP

It's been going on for years in this industry. Seriously, it's nothing new.

Watch newhires go directly to the 767ER (international) out of JFK and ATL soon. I hear the latest bid had many vacancies and newhires are expected to fill the void in many cases.

If you have 1000 hours of turbine time then you technically meet the minimums. So if you've been a regional FO for awhile you do meet the minimums. The minimums are low for the military guys and I've heard competitive minimums for regional guys are 5500 total with at least 1000 TPIC. I also know they have hired with lots less than that. I'm not sure they have hired regional FO's, but they could. If I were a regional FO I would fill the app out, get the recs on it, and do whatever I could to stand out. You never know. As far as the SLC stuff goes, the class that started July 16th has guys that are holding the 767, 737, and MD90 in SLC. Right now you can get anything you want in SLC before you are out of training. Reserve time, probably a couple years on the 75/6, a year on the 737, and a little less than a year on the MD90.

I have 6K total, 4500 jet and 2000 PIC jet, I know noone at DAL and I my phone is silent of course. I applied as soon as it was open but......who knows. Its all who you know, but I expected that and will keep updating.

Latest resources

Back