Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

casper1nine

liberal radical party ldr
in filling out an application for employment with a regional airline (ASA), i noticed that they want to use tax records to substantiate self-employment. no problem, i pay taxes.

what i don't understand is are they going to pull those records on their own, or should i provide them with my application package? if i provide the documentation, do they want 1040's, 1099's, or what? additionally, i am not 100% sure (read i haven't looked yet) that i have ten years worth of those records at my disposal. i have other employment that covers most of the 10 years as well, but my self-employment was, and still is, often as a pilot.

the package checklist doesn't specify to include any tax info, so i don't quite know what to give them, or when. i guess i could just drag what i have with me to the interview (if offered).

your thoughts?

-casper

What other way does the company have to verify your "self" employment than by your tax records?

ASA probably will not call you to get a reference from yourself for these jobs, but you never know.

i realize that, what i want to know is do i mail them 1099's, 1040's, or both, or do i hang onto them 'til the interview? the check-list for the application packet is somewhat sepcific in it's language, but doesn't quite list them to be included.

heck, i guess i'll just send it all back with the app. question answered!

time to cook the bird. have a good one everbody.
-casper

Last edited:
I have had the same issue at both airlines that I have worked at. On the applications I just put "self-employed" and described the business and the dates. I included the number of at least one client that could (and was willing to) verify that I worked for them in that time frame. (One of the airlines called that person.)

I brought my Federal and State tax returns with me to the interview along with my "Invoice Booklet/Daily work records" that I kept. I was never asked to show them at either airline...The self employment was more than five years previous, but less than 10.

Hope that helps.

Happy Overeating Day!

Legally, you are only required to keep the past three years of tax records if you filed everything legally.

Latest resources

Back