Regional Airlines and the Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cfrey79

I'm looking for information concerning QOL, schedules, bidding, and commuting from those of you that fly in the Guard or Reserve AND for one of the following companies:

Comair
ASA
ExpressJet
Commutair

Specifically, I'd like to know how "Guard friendly" or "Guard compatible" these companies are from someone who knows first hand. Thanks.

All are equal by Law......At Expressjet your schedule is totally (if there is coverage) up to you, work as little or as much as you want......

I am a FO at ExpressJet and a drilling reservist. I don't fly in the reserves but I do a lot extra drills and XJT has always been great.

SJFLYER

Comair has been excellent at working with the Guard/Reserve employees. However, they might as well due to the fact they don't have a choice anyhow. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anyone abusing the system, so maybe that is why they are so accomadating.

let me tell you that I consider myself an expert on this situation. I don't work for any of the regionals you listed, but one that screwed the USERRA like you wouldn't believe. You are protected 100% to any military leave you want whether it is voluntary or involuntary. You can fly in the guard whenever. you don't even have to show them orders anymore (this is new) all you have to supply is a cc contact. Enjoy and let me knw if you have any specific q's

whitey

CMRaviator is correct...Comair is very good about accomodating NG/Reserve members and their training requirements.

I'm a retired Guard member and never had problems, even with short notice training requirements. I had problems with previous employers (an airline and a flight school) and had to call their bluff a couple of times. Each time, they had to back down because they knew I knew my rights under federal law.

Good luck...fly safe!

First things first, nice pic.

Okay, on to your question:

ASA has always been great concerning mil leave. It certainly depends on who you talk to in the CP's office, but that is only because we have had a few knuckleheads abuse the system. (There's a few in every crowd.).

Myself and another bud have been on mil leave from there for over 2 years and our families still fly on their passes (thanks to mother D) and the folks at the GO are mostly helpful with stuff.

For regular drills and AFTPs just drop them a form and you can go. Scheduling has to cover it. You really don't have to give them much heads up but I always tried to be professional about it. Let them know as soon as you know.

The only real drawback is that your pay will FOREVER be screwed up at ASA if you take mil leave (apparently, even if you don't). You'll get paid and about 3 months later they will say, "hey, we overpaid you, here's a nice check for 3 dollars this period." Ahhhhh ........ the joys of the southern paper accounting system for a national airline.

But I digress. ASA is pretty good about I think. Just be a pro and you will be okay. Good luck.

cfrey79 said:
I'm looking for information concerning QOL, schedules, bidding, and commuting from those of you that fly in the Guard or Reserve AND for one of the following companies:

Comair
ASA
ExpressJet
Commutair

Specifically, I'd like to know how "Guard friendly" or "Guard compatible" these companies are from someone who knows first hand. Thanks.

I heard CHQ are "guardaphobes" and "veteraphiles"

Latest resources

Back