Regional Airline Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KINGAIR PIC

This was mentioned briefly in the FAR section of this board, but I need some clarification. How do the regionals view their pilots having other flying jobs on their days off?

If you could mention the airline you fly for and their policy it would be appreciated.

Most airlines do not allow their pilots to fly outside the airline because of the 121 restriction of 1000 hours/year.

FlyingDawg said:
Most airlines do not allow their pilots to fly outside the airline because of the 121 restriction of 1000 hours/year.

A typical policy is that if you get 1000 hours prior to the end of the year you get your guaranteed pay from then on unless any of those 1000 hours (all it takes is 1) are from outside the company. Then you are timed out and not paid for the rest of the year.

The policy varies from company to company.

The companies that I have flown for do not care one bit if you say flight instruct outside the company AS LONG AS you DO NOT exceed 1000 hrs. in a calender year (total of all paid flying). That is a FAR limit for 121 commercial pilots and can't be exceeded.

The usual procedure to get approval is to go to your chief pilot's office and get a form signed by them. That's it.

Trust me though, it'll be the last thing you'll want to do after 4-5 days on the road. If you do any extra flying, you'll want to do it for yourself!

It's not just 1000 hours in one year but also 30 hours in 7 days, and 100 hours in one month. Those are for 121 turbojet operations. I believe most turboprop operations under 121 are grandfathered in under 135 regulations being 125 hours in a month. Not quite sure, it's been awhile since I flew the EMB.

SkyWestCRJPilot,

Glad to see that flying a jet hasn't stunted your knowledge of the regs. What you are referring to is part of the regs, not a grandfathering, that basically states if you fly aircraft of 30 passenger seats or less and a payload capacity of 7500 lbs or less, then you can operate under FAR 135 duty time regs. This is from FAR 121.470(a). Under 135 regs, it is 1200 hrs/yr, 120 hrs/mon, and 34 hrs/wk. Now this really doesn't help KINGAIR PIC, but I couldn't let the last post of misinformation stand.

Now isn't this for compensated flying or all flying? Just curious as I fly 200+ hours a year in my own bug smasher and this pushes me close to the 1000 hour mark. Maybe I should start to bid reserve a bit more to cut down of flight time!

Rottweiller said:
Now isn't this for compensated flying or all flying? Just curious as I fly 200+ hours a year in my own bug smasher and this pushes me close to the 1000 hour mark. Maybe I should start to bid reserve a bit more to cut down of flight time!

I think you can fly as much as you want to for fun. The definition of what constitues compensated flying varries. I think the feds like it that way. Some feds even view any flying below 1500 hours to be compensation since the flight time could help you get an ATP. Certainly part 135 and 121 count since it can be documented reliably. Part 91?

It's COMPENSATED flying.

"Private" flying...yourself, friends, family, etc doesn't count. Just flying that you get paid to do.

"It's COMPENSATED flying."

It's actually commercial flying. Other flying, private, recreational, and military does not count toward the 1000 hour limit. Compensation is allowed as in military flying.

Latest resources

Back