Refineries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Orders? What orders? Whose?

This is private industry trying to survive. They just took a loss...with what part of that loss do you propose they build the new refineries, and to what end? Economics dictates that the price of the fuel goes up, not that more refineries get built.

Sniper Bob said:
Say the orders were given today to build new refineries, how long from drawing blueprints to trucking out gas?
A long time. The team that designed the last refinery has long retired. It would have be be back-engineered.

avbug said:
Orders? What orders? Whose?

This is private industry trying to survive. They just took a loss...with what part of that loss do you propose they build the new refineries, and to what end? Economics dictates that the price of the fuel goes up, not that more refineries get built.

By your tone, it sounds like I offended you. I was merely asking how long does it take to physically construct an oil refinery? And by orders, I mean a private company being released from government restrictions to replace the ones that were just damaged and/or destroyed.

cforst513 said:
i have a 1964 vespa scooter i'm thinking about dropping 2 grand on to get it fixed. 130mpg or so. i may look like a dork but i'll be saving money on gas!

Two grand, what on earth is wrong with it that would cost that much??

One thing to keep in mind, by those who think they are saving energy by getting a Hybrid, is that there is a lot of energy and resources that goes into making a new vehicle, not to mention a lot of money that the buyer pays for.

If one really wants to save themselves a lot of money, and cut down on resources used, buy a used car that gets great gas mileage. Get something you can pay for in cash that is economical. Lets face it, some of the people doing the most whining about gas prices, are paying 30 dollars more a month, while already paying 500 a month in car payments and insurance, and in reality, are not having a big impact on what they are paying in total. Not having a car payment, and having just liability insurance, saves enough to pay for lots of gas.

Ever better, bike around.

Dizel8 said:
Two grand, what on earth is wrong with it that would cost that much??

Well since it is Italian, probably that money go towards plastic surgery to make one have a bigger nose or to transplant lots of hair on ones shoulder and back. Oh and the sweater that one will not wear but have tied around the waist.

I own Dutch Shell corp. make me a offer...

414Flyer,

While I'm a bit perplexed by your avatar, your views with respect to car economics are well founded.

My family drives a six year old VW Jetta TDI which gets 46mpg AVERAGE! The other car is a twelve year old Honda Civic. Both get great mileage, are very reliable, and neither has collision insurance since neither of us has had wrecks. Heck, we quite often we can't remember the last time we put fuel/gas in the vehicle. There's a lot to be said for efficient transportation.

Fast cars are fun, very few of them can match the "performance" of 46mpg. Why pay for speed you don't need if you're looking for efficient transport from point A to point B?

Lilah

Lilah said:
414Flyer,

While I'm a bit perplexed by your avatar, your views with respect to car economics are well founded.

My family drives a six year old VW Jetta TDI which gets 46mpg AVERAGE! The other car is a twelve year old Honda Civic. Both get great mileage, are very reliable, and neither has collision insurance since neither of us has had wrecks. Heck, we quite often we can't remember the last time we put fuel/gas in the vehicle. There's a lot to be said for efficient transportation.

Fast cars are fun, very few of them can match the "performance" of 46mpg. Why pay for speed you don't need if you're looking for efficient transport from point A to point B?

Lilah
But I bet they remember the day they peeled the the paper off the back of that bumper sticker that said, "vote for John Kerry - it's up to the women!"

Lilah and 414....I agree with you 100%. in my particular case i needed a new car and i have never had any luck with used cars, they always seem to break down on me, so I went with the brand new car. my point in all this is that you dont have to be perfect, but if each one of us does something to reduce our dependence on oil we will all be better off.

Latest resources

Back