Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vicman

who's your Kuya ?!?
While activated for OEF, I took a demo ride in the R-22 and got hooked on helicopter flying..i bought 10 hours to see if i had potential so that i don't waste time w/OCS ore getting beat at SERE just to flunk out of IERW. Though I have every intention of continuing working toward a arline career, I thought of the possibility of flying for the army guard (Let's face it..when i get REACTIVATED for Iraq I'd rather fly ANY AIRCRAFT than fly a p/u truck, police car or hummer..NEVER again will I allow my self to not progress in flight time/experience or let my certs/currency lapse due to the fact that i belong to one of the most exploited (i.e deployed) unit in the AF - besides no airline (&its insurance provider) will care/or hire me in this tight market ...if only i could log the times i've stared at C5s/16s/ and 10's i'd be at least eligible to apply!

To the nitty gritty....my recruiter said i'm better of via OCS because submitting a WOFT pkg is harder...and I can request to re-commission as WO down the line. THE CATCH..I must be an enlisted member E-4 w/ the army guard then go to OCS in Jan 03 open ended..no unit sponsorship so i can be assign to non aviation careers or units. Yikes. (i'm truly asking for it aint I)

Let me start off by saying that I am speaking from an active duty position but have many guard friends who have been in your situation.

Although a great job, if you find yourself as an enlisted soldier, it will be a LONG road to the cockpit. You will still have to submit a packet after your initial enlisted commitment. I know lots of enlisted guys who have gone this route only to have had to re-submit their packet a couple of times, either because they weren't selected, or they just missed getting the packet in by the selection board deadline because they were deployed somewhere. Oh well guess I'll get it in next time they say.

Being a commissioned officer will also be rewarding, but not if you want to fly. In addition, I am sure going OCS does not guarantee a pilot slot but if you are lucky enough to get one, your flying hours will be limited by management type activities.

Warrant is the only way to go. Going to flight school is guaranteed before you sign the dotted line. Find a recruiter who will do his job, there are those out there who don't focus on filling a quota, and will work hard to get your packet in. It is not really complicated at all, just time consuming. DO NOT let them talk you into anything you don't want to do by saying if you do "this" you will have an easier time getting "here".

Finally if you would like more expert advice than mine, go to
www.aptap.org.......and do a search of your question on the main message board or ask your question to the members. This board was started by and full of former Army pilots who have gone on to successful careers in the Army.

Hope this helps.

Thank you ZEEKand Kiowa. - I'll check out the APTAPS site!

The recruiter said that I'll be in OCS from day one i.e. my next 3 UTAs will be inprocess and indoc/physical II (i'll opt for Phys I-flight) then i'll be E-6/cadet till the 7 week camp in AUG & pin - on 2LT. we'll see about that...sounds too optimistic.

I'll seek guidance from the higher-up CWs aviators and go from there.

ALL I wanted to do when I dropped into the recruiters office was to take the schedule a CLass I flight phys and AFAST to see if i qualify..I don't wanna waste my time..airline seniority is everything.

zeek,
Are you an active duty RLO, because as far as I understand the process, aviation is not a guaranteed slot for guys going active duty unless it has recently changed. I know many ROTC and West Point guys who where given there slots once they completed college. My captain went ROTC and she said she was give her branch assignment at the end of her junior year. This is the exact reason I chose to go active duty warrant. I think the Guard is different.

vicman,
good luck.........

zeek,
**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, wish my recruiter had known about that option because i would have jumped all over it. my co-workers and i have never heard of that program or met anyone who went throught it but i wish i had. in any case i also had the degree before coming in and ended up going warrant. can you tell me how you went about finding, and getting selected for a navy reserve slot after the army. do you fly navy helos or fixed-wing? if they gave you a fixed-wing slot, where you already fixed-wing qualified or did you go to UPT. and finally did you get a full or part-time reserve slot?
thanks,
kiowa

Latest resources

Back