Record Keeping

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A little of both.

I added some pages to the back of my logbook entitled "Endorsements Given". I also keep a record in my electronic logbook.

I kept photocopies of each endorsement given....then, after the requisite 3 years, burned them.

I just put them in the memorandum section of my logbook. However, I should probably have a back up just in case i lose my logbook. Photocopies is a good idea.

By law, you are suppose to keep a record anytime your endorse a students logbook (ie. 90 day solo, knowledge test signoff, night sign off, etc) ?

I've been under the impression that as a flight instructor at a 141 school where we record all endorsements in the students folders that those records will suffice for meeting the requirements of 61.189.....but this is ONLY because the flight school where i work for keeps our records for a minimum of 3 yrs....while the actual FAA requirement is that flight schools keep records for one yr.

My thinking, however, is that maybe i should keep my own personal record just in case the flight school somehow misplaces these student folders. I'd rather have my own record myself than have to rely on other parties to keep this information for me for the three years.

I record in a notebook the students name, the date of endorsement, and what the endorsement was for (solo flight/bfr/etc).

I've only been working as a CFI for 5 months and as of now i have 5 entries in my notebook. Am i doing enough?

tom1178 said:
I record in a notebook the students name, the date of endorsement, and what the endorsement was for (solo flight/bfr/etc).

I've only been working as a CFI for 5 months and as of now i have 5 entries in my notebook. Am i doing enough?
As long as you are recording name, certificate number, type of endorsement, date of endorsement, and any limitations/expiration date - for each signoff you give....you're fine. Are you keeping records of endorsements for written tests as well? If not, you should be. I kept them separate from my logbook(I kept photocopies of each endorsement) so that when the 3 years was up, I could destroy them. I kept them as long as legally required....no more.

Latest resources

Back