• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recommended techniques on flying a tail dragger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That really depends on the person performing the landing. One can stall level or nose up, and one can do a full stall landing level and in a two point attitude, if one wishes to take the risk.

The cub is the same way. On gravel strips, I generally put the tailwheel down first followed by the mains in a full stall. It's cheating a bit, I think, because rather than feeling for the ground through the stick, the cue is the tailwheel running along the surface.

That really depends on the person performing the landing. One can stall level or nose up, and one can do a full stall landing level and in a two point attitude, if one wishes to take the risk.

Not sure I'm getting your meaning here. Granted an airplane can be stalled going straight up or straight down, but, if you fly a Citabria parallel to the landing surface, holding it airborne as long as it can possibly stay airborne, the tailwheel *will* be much lower than the mains when the wing finally stops producing lift.

Guaranteed.

I own one, have spent numerous afternoons playing around with just this phenomenon.

If the wing stalls at say 16 degrees aoa and sitting on the ground on all three wheels, the wing is 12 degrees to the horizontal, your tailwheel *is* going to be lower than your mains when you stall in level flight.

Last edited:
AoA isn't measured with respect to the horizontal, however; AoA is measured at the wing, and includes upwash.

If the wing is done flying, the wing is done flying, whether the nose is up or down. Just as one can stall an airplane level or nose high to demonstrate it to a student, one can do the same on or near the runway, in or out of ground effect.

Granted, ground effect is actually a reduction in induced drag along with a reduction in upwash (and an attendant reduced local AoA), but the airplane will eventually pay off if held off, nose to the horizon or no.

Perhaps I don't do enough three point landings any more; most of the conventional gear flying I do is all done two-point, for some good reasons, and I usually don't full-stall them on.

Latest resources

Back