Recommendation for cell phone/plan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DH106

After being furloughed for 1.5 years, I am fortunate to be on-reserve with a new company.

Gotta get a cell phone --- looking for cheap, best coverage, don't need fancy features.

Can anyone recommend a good phone/plan? Thanks!

Having had T-Mobile and Sprint, I would have to say Verizon has the best service. I have the Single-Rate plan, 900 weekday mins and 3,000 weekend mins for $100.00/month.

Verizon may be slightly more money, but you get what you pay for. No dropped calls, no messages 3 days after they were left! Clear signal anywhere I go.

Hope this helps,

HC

I swear at and swear by Cingular.

250 weekday minutes
5,000 night & weekend
$29.95.

I had an Erikson phone the first year, and never a problem. This year I have a Nokia. It took two months for them to get it programmed right. I think it's OK, now.

I would recommend Verizon with a Motorola v60 or T720 phone. Good coverage, resonable price and good quality product.

Second choice would be Cingular with a Motorola v60 phone.

Sprint hands down. $34.99 500 anytime, 3000 nights and weekends which if you work it right they will start it at 8:00 instead of 9:00 and 500 Sprint to Sprint minutes. But do not buy the Samsung phones but Sanyo. They work so much better.

Fly Safe
:cool:

Check out Nextel!

I got the deal worth 59.99/month.

Free incoming and nation wide long distance,no roaming.
Unlimited nights, weekends, direct connect(walkie talk)
It offers 400 anytime minutes per month.
I'm on the road alot as most on this board are, so I needed the long distance (free), and I work mainly at night and weekends anyway.

Check them out, they have more plans that are cheaper and not all plans are available everywhere. Hope it helps!

Yes, Sprint long distance is free also and no roaming in network. Flying corporate and chater we go alot of different places and I am in network over 99% of the time. Once in about every two years we might go to a small town in TN that is not in network.

Fly Safe.

:cool:

How's $7 a month sound? Virgin wireless, sold at circuit city, is the cheapest. It uses the sprint network. Buy a $20 pre-paid phone card, and it will not expire for 90 days. If you use the phone, it is 25 cents per minute for the first 10 minutes, then 10 cents per minute thereafter....per day. It works for me in Cincinnati; Madison, Wisconsin, and in the wisconsin dells area. Haven't been flying much lately, so I do not know how it works in other places. So far I am very happy with it. The phone costs $80. There are no activation fees. It comes with a $10 worth of prepaid airtime, which so far has lasted me 2 months.

Verizon Nationwide plan for 35.00. 250 anytime, 3000 night and weekends. big coverage area. Sprint seems to have a lot of problems in big cities. A lot of times calls get cut off by the switchboard because of high demand or you're not able to even make a call. This I've noticed with friends trying to call me from Miami and Detroit

$35 a month with AT&T...500 anytime, free nights and weekends. no roaming or long distance in any major citiy served.

...of course, the wife has the grandaddy of all plans. AT&T= unlimited usage anytime, anywhere in the country, no long distance for $99 a month :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back