Recently Selected for SUPT? Heed my adv

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyride56

I couldn't find the thread started by the recent SUPT selectee who was seeking advise, so I thought I'd broadcast my opinions to anyone who cares.

Once you receive the big news from your chosen unit, the first form you must fill out and send off is the SF86 (Standard Form 86). This form is necessary to apply for your top-secret security clearance. I sent my SF86 on October 8th 2002 and I'm still waiting for a response. I was told to expect up to 1 year for my clearance. The SF86 is a 30-something page form where you tell the Government everything about you, your employment, criminal history (even misdemeanors), 10-year home residence, at least 3 character references who are non-relatives,,,,ect,,ect...

the sooner you send it off the soon you'll be moving the heavier iron.

SR

Last edited:
few things. Not all pilots need a top secret. Second, you can do UPT and even get your wings before your clearance is done so don't worry about it too much. All it needs to be is open then you can get your interim clearance and you are gravy. I think only fighters/bombers/specops need top secret. I am 95% positive i only need a secret for c-130's.

I agree - don't worry about the TS. You won'e need it until you have your wings. By the way...us tanker puke's require a TS as well :D

PUKE

Actually, however, the security clearance issue has thrown several F15 student pilots into a holding pattern...sometimes for months.

With the increased post 9/11 security investigation workload, the process is slow. I'd heed the authors advice and get it done ASAP. What if 1/2 way through UPT enroute to a C130 that Viper wannabe washes out and you could potentially join that unit? I wouldn't do ANYTHING in UPT based on the 100% presumption I knew exactly where I was going or what I was doing.

Just my 2 cents....fly safe

i dont think Ive filled out this sf86...when I was selected to ots I gave fingerprints and my signature...I didnt list character references or any other info. Also, dont they speak to more than 3 people about you.

The TS is not required prior to UPT however some units mine included will hold you until your clerance is recieved. Especially if a TS is required. Why waste the money on AMS/UPT if the gaining unit will loose someone when it could have been prevented.

I accomplished my first interview pre 9-11 and then had two follow ups that Oct. After I recieved my TS, my unit went out and got me dates in the next AMS class. All together 18 mos. from submission of the application to AMS. Most guard fighter units are like that.

XRJ

I had 2 tickets, one 5 years ago and the other 9 years ago. I listed them on my application and was still selected. As long as you don't have too many, your chances shouldn't be lowered.

good luck,

SR

When I was younger, I got pulled over quite a bit (always for speeding), but I haven't been pulled over in about two years. I hope they will see that I have changed my ways. Thanks for your help.

My Secret clearance (you only need a Secret in the Army) took about 8 months or so. As others have mentioned, you don't always need it to get started. Here in Army flight school, we have several guys who only have an "interim" clearance, waiting for the final. As far as tickets are concerned, don't worry about it. I have been arrested twice, one was dismissed, the other I served probation for. I still got a clearance.

Another big thing they look at is your credit. Keep your bills current, and don't enter into too much debt other than house, car, student loan, etc.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back