• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hopalong

I've been giving nja info. to a retired delta captain. Apparently,
he was essentially forced into early retirement. He hasn't flown in three
years. Any chance of him getting an interview w/ NJA? He is willing
to get himself typed in something NJA has, in order to avoid the lack
of recency experience. What do you all think?

I think it is a big issue. 1998 ... I think I had not flown about 24 months and they would not interview.

I think if he flew 100 hrs in anything... even a single engine piston ... he could get an interview.

I don't think a type will help.

Even buying block hours and drilling holes for 100 hrs would do it.

If it comes to that

Last edited:
second hand info, talked to an IOE captain last week. his student was
retired widebody capt. who had not flown in years,
point being apply and get simulator time if you need it.

I think it is a big issue. 1998 ... I think I had not flown about 24 months and they would not interview. I think if he flew 100 hrs in anything... even a single engine piston ... he could get an interview.

I don't think a type will help. Even buying block hours and drilling holes for 100 hrs would do it. If it comes to that

Gunfyter, how do you think they would view FAR 135 PIC recurrency at either FSI or Simuflite? I haven't flown in a few years, but recently completed my 135 PC check in the CE750.

I think they would like it.

Different people in the hiring biz since 1998.

I would send it in and see... but in the meantime start flying ANYTHING somewhere.

In 1998 I was told to show them some flight time in the last 12 months.... I asked how much but they would not say.

Last edited:
Heard about a 64 year old retired airline captain hired at NJ. Hadn't flown in 4 years but kept "current" in a United sim.

Actually, he was 63 yrs old, and in my new-hire class. This guy retired from UAL as a 747-400 Capt with 38 yrs service. He stayed "current" by purchasing sim time (paying for recurrent) in various jets, and then flying ferry flights for some company that I never heard of. He also flew numerous small aircraft (C-172, etc) for fun after his retirement. He's currently a X SIC.

For what it's worth I applied a year ago in Jan and got the interview having only flown single engine planes to Baja after being out of the game for three years following 9/11 and a furlough. They offered me the interview and I thought I did fine. I was told no probs in the HR but that I was rusty in the sim and should go and get some better currecy and to re-sim in 6 mos. In those six months I flew 100 hrs rt seat in Lear 35/55 and 100 hrs in a KA-350 as well as getting the fresh type at Simuflite. When I updated after the 6 mos I was told to re-update again in 6 mos and that I would be in there for sure 'next time.' Derinda even said it was the first she had heard of asking a guy to update again. Oh well - no more updates for me I'm in training now somewhere else. But I do think it would have been a good fit for me.

Bottom line - Apply Apply Apply!!!

Good luck!

Baja.

Applying in progress................email'ed resume...waiting for the response!

And if you can hold your medical and fly well, who cares how old ~ my father in law is 64 and one of the sharpest guys I know...and still instructing!

Latest resources

Back