Recalled USAir Recalls (99 hires): Questions To Help Make the Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks

Thanks for saying that Ratherfish. I got the impression that some people are getting tired of reading my posts and are pretty sick of my frustration. Not sure why I care about that -- they could ignore my posts if they're uninterested.

I do understand what you mean with regards to the "big plane / big pay" decision. I think that, to me, there are less tangible benefits to the airline.

In the Pro column, airline training, standardization, and overall safety is far superior without question.

The equipment is more comfortable, instrument panels are standardized in all aircraft within the fleet. APU means heating and air-conditioning on the ground. Professional dispatchers mean never having to search for a legal alternate when the weather goes down over hundreds of square miles in the wintertime.

In the Cons column there is the commute -- at least for a little while until I can find a home and the time it would take to sell the house and move the family from the midwest. There is also sitting reserve in a crashpad, and spending 4+ days away from home. I didn't mind those things before we had kids. Now they bother me a bit more. (95% daytrips at my current gig)

Job security is a question mark at both companies as it is everywhere in aviation, so it goes in neither column.

Add a little bit of shiny-jet syndrome, a little bit of boredom with my current job, and a touch of dissatisfaction over my past career decisions and you have the formula for a tough decision.

QOL is better if you live near the base. If there are choices, then that is even better. I had no other choice than to live near JFK when I flew for Tower Air. Go to day 1 and see if you like it. If you don't, go back to the Lear job.

First, don't listen to the negative comments on this board. Second, just return and see for yourself and then decide. A lot of companies are hiring. Get current in something, anything and move on if your are not happy.
Good luck.

"Go to day 1 and see if you like it. If you don't, go back to the Lear job."

I like that idea. Get an LOA or go on vacation or get a really bad cold or a death in the family and go check it out.

It sounds like USAirways is a valid choice in your situation. No one knows what the future holds. The Lear job will probably only be a Lear job. The airline job might get good/interesting.

You are getting in at the beginning of the next wave. The wave we were supposed to be on to begin with. It just took an extra 5 yrs for it to show up. That wave just got better since so many others didn't return.

If both jobs are equally unstable and relocation to a base doesn't bug you too much, then go for it.

...one guy's worthless opinion only.

KF pilot,

That 300 to upgrade on the 190? Is that before or after the contracts are combined? Wouldn't there be a few thousand once they are?

-BenderG

Once you East guys let go of your ego and get it through your thick skulls that there will not be alot of West guys coming your way, you can finally get a contract with decent pay and workrules. Then life should be pretty good. Hiring will be off the street by years end. Hiring will continue until the next downturn or until 65 comes to pass.

You can always find Lear jobs with your experience. I say go back to USAirways and move close to whichever hub you get (hopefully CLT because it is cheaper than PHL) to reduce any commute. The "pros" in your columns totally make up for the "cons" in my eyes.

That would be my choice knowing that I could always find another Lear job if needed.

Few if any west guys are going to commute 2,000 miles to fly a 190, even in the left seat. Certainly not "thousands". In fact most west guys I know would prefer to forget that the east coast even exists.

Few if any west guys are going to commute 2,000 miles to fly a 190, even in the left seat. Certainly not "thousands". In fact most west guys I know would prefer to forget that the east coast even exists.

A lot of PSA guys commuted. I know one guy from California that commuted to CLT on reserve for over a decade. Many more moved East. When the Group 2 captain positions are there for them to bid they will come in droves. Make no mistake about it.

FA, as a two time loser from Airways I will tell you that the better choice for you is to go to a good airline where you can fulfill your dream. Maybe that involves a temporary return to USAirways to get an Intl' qual, but don't stay long.

The reason to go back from the first 8 year furlough was the pension. That was by far the biggest reason. Since it doesn't exist anymore there is no over-riding reason to go back to USAirways other than to use them to get you to a good airline.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back