• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recalled USAir Recalls (99 hires): Questions To Help Make the Decision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the fact that you say that safety is a question at your current job makes the decision for me right there. do you want to see your kids every four day or not at all?

I know a few people that have been recalled. The one person left frontier to return. Commutes out of DFW and got the 73 based in PHL. He has had no real problems commuting and hasn't had to have a crash pad as they are flying between 85-99 hours. He says he is very happy. 10 -12 from holding a line in PHL and could hold a line in DCA. Some recalls are holding lines out of LGA. Also as a June 99 hire, is about 1000 from Capt on the 190. He has 800 between him and the last active pilot. Figure out of 800 maybe 200 return..soo 300 from Capt. on 190. The others I know are finishing up training. One started June 11. Got 76 I. He had a few days off before systems and the days off in between systems and sim. A week off before international training and then almost 2 weeks to IOE. He left Gemini. Says he is happy to be back also.
Rumors they heard are: Possible 100 newhires this year and maybe 300 -400 next year. The class that just started..some will have a week off before sytems..some a month. You have to look at class dates and equipment. If anything..accept recall, go to day 1 and see what you get and where..then deceide if you want to go to day 2 or not.

Wish I could add what the East is getting, but I don't know. Out west 49 upgrades and 50-60 new hires off the street.

Chjack,

I didn't mean to imply that my current employer is unsafe, but rather that safety, standardization, and training at a major airline are clearly better and probably always will be.

For a part 91 operation, my department does a fairly good job and improves each year. They will probably never achieve the level of crew standardization and safety that the airline had, but much of that has to do with pilot culture (only about 15% of our pilots have prior 121 experience) and the types of airports we operate out of.

Last edited:
You can always find Lear jobs with your experience. I say go back to USAirways and move close to whichever hub you get (hopefully CLT because it is cheaper than PHL) to reduce any commute. The "pros" in your columns totally make up for the "cons" in my eyes.

That would be my choice knowing that I could always find another Lear job if needed.

Although I am not a big fan of USAirways, I agree with the above statement. I don't see much risk so long as you can put up with the potential commute (I would live near a hub) and the slow upgrade potential. That's your choice. There are plenty of decent Lear jobs out there - GIVE IT A SHOT!

KF pilot,

That 300 to upgrade on the 190? Is that before or after the contracts are combined? Wouldn't there be a few thousand once they are?

-BenderG

Well considering we have about 800 Fo's total I would say a few thousand is a little on the high side. There is virtually zero pay raise involved in going from a 320 fo to a 190 captain. I don't think you'll find many fo's commutign cross country to PHL of all places for a couple dollar an hour raise. But feel free to keep spreading the fear!

A lot of PSA guys commuted. I know one guy from California that commuted to CLT on reserve for over a decade. Many more moved East. When the Group 2 captain positions are there for them to bid they will come in droves. Make no mistake about it.

Typhoonpilot
I wouldn't bet on that. There will be many more east guys wanting to come out west then the other way around.

gotcha on the safety furloughed. my gut feel from what ive read here is that you want to go back. i say you should go. if you go back and it still stinks, you could then jump ship to another major as some other posters have suggested. my feeling is that if you dont return, you are always going to wonder and have some regret. living a life of regret is terrible. the last thing you want, or your wife for that matter is for you to be kicking yourself 5 years from now because you didnt go back.

A lot of PSA guys commuted. I know one guy from California that commuted to CLT on reserve for over a decade. Many more moved East. When the Group 2 captain positions are there for them to bid they will come in droves. Make no mistake about it.

Typhoonpilot

The PSA(the original PSA)Guys had no choice, No West Coast Base existed, so it was commute to the East, Move East or Start over somewhere else.

So, present day if a West Guy can go to PHX/LAS, how many are going to commute cross-country? Sure some will for the seat, but several will not.
West Guys speak up.

The PSA(the original PSA)Guys had no choice, No West Coast Base existed, so it was commute to the East, Move East or Start over somewhere else.

So, present day if a West Guy can go to PHX/LAS, how many are going to commute cross-country? Sure some will for the seat, but several will not.
West Guys speak up.

Yea, tell us about that 'desert lifestyle' ...

Latest resources

Back