Reasonable moving costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyeys

I am moving from FL to TX in June and the least expensive trucks I can find to rent are around 1200 bucks! I have tried all the major rental places and no luck. Anybody have some suggestions as to a cheaper way to do this aside from making 10 trips in my car. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

Fly

Here's my story-remember I'm a cheap @ss so take it with a grain of salt.

I was moving from NJ to FL. Truck rentals (budget, Penske, etc.) from NJ to FL were in the $2500 range for just the truck.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the rentals from FL to NJ. It was $250. Now, that poses a problem because I wanted to go NJ to FL. But Penske offers unlimited miles. Hmmm.

I got a "one-way" rental from FL to NJ - it came with 6 days of rental. I flew down to FL, picked the truck up empty, and drove it to NJ, filled it up with my stuff, and drove down to FL and unloaded it. Then drove back to NJ to drop it off. All total (with fuel and airfare) it was about $800 or so give or take. But 3300 miles in 6 days was killer.

Also, I saw an ad in an airline mag that highlighted a company that drove the truck to your location, you packed it, they came by and drove it to the destination and dropped it off, and you unpacked it. I recall it was even cheaper than what I had paid ($800). Might check into that - I can't recall the name.

Also try checking for a rental from say FL to somewhere around the area you're moving too, within say a 300 mile radius. Might be cheaper.

~wheelsup

What kinda vehicle do you have?

If you can pull an enclosed cargo trailer (12'-16' like lawn guys use), buy a used one, pack your stuff in it and sell it when you get to TX. Seriously, it would be a free move if you sold it for what you paid for it.

wheelsup said:
Also, I saw an ad in an airline mag that highlighted a company that drove the truck to your location, you packed it, they came by and drove it to the destination and dropped it off, and you unpacked it. I recall it was even cheaper than what I had paid ($800). Might check into that - I can't recall the name.

Try this:
http://www.upack.com/

Buy an old van. As long as it's under 26,000 pounds, you can drive it. You should be able to find an old moving van/uHaul for around a thousand bucks--which you can then sell.

But you might want to be handy with a wrench to try that.

Dan

Did the NY to GA to TX move recently. NY to GA costed $400 bucks with u-pack. It wasnt a bad deal but they do not pick up from your house. You drive to a trucking terminal load your stuff up and then put up the partition yourself. They charge you by the square foot of space used. For $400 bucks I had about 3 rooms of furniture.
On GA to TX I did the U-haul to the back of the truck thing costed $150 bucks, it will be about $250 if you do not have a hitch already installed.
In this industry, I highly recommend getting a vehicle that allows you to keep mobile. Secondly, I recommend never buying nice furniture until your ready to settle somewhere.
Also, WELCOME TO TEXAS!

I've used U-pack two times now. The only reason they don't leave the trailer behind is if you are in a big city where they can't. Otherwise, it is dropped off in your driveway or on the street, and you get about 3 days to load it.

Latest resources

Back