realty or insurance-side jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

13579ms

I read about the guy looking for a new career in computers and it seems like most of us are pretty knowledgable in many things. I was wondering. How diffucult would it be to either get into the real-estate or insurance business without actually taking a bunch of school. I have a BS in aviation and dont wish to pursue another BS,BA etc. or even Associates. I have a friend who does insurence life, health etc and seems to do pretty well but he's full-time. But is it possible to do these things on a part-time basis without over stressing yourself. I'm just looking to supplement my income as a CFI and most importantly to have something to fall back on. From what I understand you have to take some state test? Thanks for your help.

Last spring I met a private pilot who wanted some instrument instruction. It turned out he owned a mortgage business. He agreed to hire me part time to be a loan officer. I live in CA where a real estate license is required for the job. It takes about a month to study for the state test. About half fail the first time taking the test. I did the work part time in addition to my airline job. Had I built a client base quicker it might have paid off. In the end I spend almost all my days off in the office, and I had an assistant (my girlfriend) do most of the work while I was on the road. It didn't really pay off for me. I made an extra grand each month, but it wasn't really worth the headaches.

You might be able to make it work being a CFI. Plan to work in the office at least half the day. If you have more questions about it, let me know.

Insurance or real estate

At least in Colorado, you need to take a test for a realtor license. I don't think it's that hard, though. I know someone who took it when he was 18. His family was into such things. I'm pretty sure, too, that you need a license to sell insurance.

I'm a real fan of a B.S. in Aero Science. I'd bet that with your degree you could turn a buck or two substitute teaching in science or math. Moreover, with your CFI, you might be able to qualify for a college or vo-tech teaching credential. There is such a program here in Colorado. I was trying to get a job teaching ground school at community colleges several years ago. I was told that I needed the credential and got it. I only needed to compete the paperwork to get the credential.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your plans.

You do not need an BS in Aero Science to substitute teach, heck you dont even need any degree, but you get paid more if you do.

At least in the public schools it is like that. Usually you just get a call to come in that morning for wherever they need you

Latest resources

Back