Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Really stupid jumpseat question for Delta, United, or SWA guys.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hikoushi

AAAAAAARGGGH!!!!
Okay, this will sound like a bit of a joke but this is a serious jumpseat question for Delta, United, or SWA guys. Hawaiian, Aloha (RIP), and Island Air all allow "Aloha" wear in place of mainland-style business casual while jumpseating / nonrevving (including offline folks who do it nicely e.g. not cheap ABC store shirts). In Hawaii it is considered formal almost on a par with suit and tie, so actually much more respectable than simple business casual wear. You see lawyers etc wearing Reyn Spooner shirts and slacks to trial, etc.

If a HAL, WP, etc pilot were to try to get a jumpseat on the mainland, say Delta or United between 2 mainland cities (ORD, SEA, ATL, JFK, etc) and was wearing said formal Aloha wear, would they face the possibility of being denied due to policy or an agent thinking they looked too "resort"-ey? Just curious.

Last edited:
If a HAL, WP, etc pilot were to try to get a jumpseat on the mainland, say Delta or United between 2 mainland cities (ORD, SEA, ATL, JFK, etc) and was wearing said formal Aloha wear, would they face the possibility of being denied due to policy or an agent thinking they looked too "resort"-ey? Just curious.

Having worked for an airline on the mainland, and now for HAL, and having jumpseated a pretty good amount of times on the mainland. I wouldn't try the Aloha shirt. Even though Aloha shirts do have a collar etc they look way too casual, and mainland airlines/gate agents don't get the Aloha shirt thing. And most of them have no clue about Aloha shirts and how it is perceived in Hawaii...

It may work once in a while if you get a more laid back gate agent, but at some point you'd probably get denied by a more hard core bitch of an agent.

I cannot speak to how it would be handled case by case, but am aware of the "relaxed" attire protocol having jumpsat (seated?) on Aloha in the islands in the late 90s. I believe it to be an excellent tradition that I believe that should at least honored, even adopted at SWA. When (if?) we finally venture west of the west coast, I believe it should be policy that ties are removed by crews no later than leaving LAX, OAK, LAS, PHX or where ever. Y'all do things differently over there, and that is why folks like to go there. I can't imagine it being a problem on Southwest.

Okay, this will sound like a bit of a joke but this is a serious jumpseat question for Delta, United, or SWA guys. Hawaiian, Aloha (RIP), and Island Air all allow "Aloha" wear in place of mainland-style business casual while jumpseating / nonrevving (including offline folks who do it nicely e.g. not cheap ABC store shirts). In Hawaii it is considered formal almost on a par with suit and tie, so actually much more respectable than simple business casual wear. You see lawyers etc wearing Reyn Spooner shirts and slacks to trial, etc.

I'd not show up wearing what you describe. You'd just be subjecting yourself to the risk of being denied. It's much safer to simply pay along and wear "mainland" business casual.

I've jumpseated all over the mainland on every major airline wearing an Aloha shirt. Never had either a gate agent or flight crew say it wasn't appropriate.

Dude, it's got a collar and it buttons up. What else do you need? I've seen some pretty dressed down pilots in my jumpseat and I'm not talking about pilots commuting out of the bush either.

I am not sure why you would want to push the issue when you are "asking" for a ride. Personally, I believe too many people dress pretty sloppy and ask for rides.

Latest resources

Back