• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reality of the Airlnes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After one of the most unprofessional CP meetings I've had, as I walked out the office and the building I realized that we as pilots are nothing more than numbers.
:cool:

Just remember this feeling in the future when scheduling asks you for a "favor."

Many of us on this board have done the furlough thing at least once. You're definitely not alone. Good luck!

F%@# management!!!! It's enough to get me to vote for Obama! :angryfire

The thing about furloughs (to me) is...

The risk might be worth it if there is a significant upside. But with the crap contracts at most majors now...

WHERE IS THE UPSIDE?

Turbo

I have been furloughed twice and been through two shutdowns. It will happen in this business. Unfortunately this time around, there's no place to go. This industry is going to be in for a nasty makeover and revamping. Those companies who can't adapt will perish. My advice is go and find work (even outside aviation) and await for a recall or the job market to reopen in a few years. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a plan B for a career in place just in case. You ever get furloughed for a long time, or even become medically unable to fly.
As for a furlough, you are considered laid off, out of work with eligible for rehire when the time comes. You lose everything, the flight benefits, insurance, jumpseat privileges, and even your company's flight internet access if applicable.
Also you may want to reconsider going back to school as well while waiting this out.
Good Luck and tailwinds to you.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. My classmates on the Saab were getting junior man calls every day right up til the furlough date. Made no sense. I just took about 4 months off and enjoyed the summer on unemployment. I couldn't make enough on 1st year pay to justify commuting compared to just collecting the unemployment. Eventually the recall came and luckily I took it. Less than a year later I held CR9 captain (granted trapped at the bottom for eternity) No way I would be an Avro captain right now had everything not happened.

Things do happen for a reason. You may not see the reason for months or even years down the road but trust me they do. Something even better might be just around the corner and when it does happen you will not even look back.

Take some time off collect unemployment. Dust off the resume and pound the pavement!! We all love flying airplanes or we would not put up with half the crap we do.

Good luck and stay positive.

Of course things happen for a REASON... it's called cause and effect, action reaction, whatever you want to call it.

Action - airline is over staffed due to a reduction in capacity due to outrageous fuel prices.
Reaction - Pilots are furloughed.

Now if you're trying to say that it's all part of some grand plan, then you're smoking something because it's not... it just bloody well happened and now you deal with it.

Like putting stuff down to "GOD's WILL". Total cop-out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back