Realistically...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Could I load a Cessna 414 (Ram VI) up with 8 people on a hot day and fly a 1.5 hour trip FAIRLY comfortably?? By the book you can, but I want to hear from the real-life guys.

Based on you guy's input and guidance, I am thinking this is plane now....

dhc8fo said:
Could I load a Cessna 414 (Ram VI) up with 8 people on a hot day and fly a 1.5 hour trip FAIRLY comfortably?? By the book you can, but I want to hear from the real-life guys.

You can't fly comfortably on a hot day for 1.5 hours unless you use talcum powder, otherwise you might get a heat rash.

But seriously, how heavy are the 8 guys and what is the zero fuel weight? If there is zero fuel weight, you cannot ignore this aircraft limitation.

It seems to me that a full fuel 414 can only take three people max, including the pilot and maybe one briefcase each.

dhc8fo said:
Could I load a Cessna 414 (Ram VI) up with 8 people on a hot day and fly a 1.5 hour trip FAIRLY comfortably??
I don't think that 8 people in a 414 for 1-1/2 hours would be particularly comfortable, if that's what you're asking.

A Squared said:
I don't think that 8 people in a 414 for 1-1/2 hours would be particularly comfortable, if that's what you're asking.
Yes, this passenger/fuel configuration would make me nervous. It's been a while, but I have a couple of hours in a 414. Nice plane, but I wouldn't tempt fate.

Maybe the appropriate question would be, "How comfortable would you be on a hot day with 8 people on board and one caged at blue line with a sink rate and inhospitible terrain beneath you?"

Even with the Ram conversion, the 414 is NOT that good of a load hauler. I know I wouldnt try it. Come to think of it, I dont know 8 people I LIKE well enough to put together in that size aircraft for 1.5 hours on a hot day!! Seriously, if you are going to be hauling that kind of load repeatedly, I'd start thinking turbine... Cheyenne, Conquest, something like that. Better load haulers and MUCH more reliable engines. My opinion anyway.

Last edited:
agpilot34 said:
Even with the Ram conversion, the 414 is NOT that good of a load hauler. I know I wouldnt try it. Come to think of it, I dont know 8 people I LIKE well enough to put together in that size aircraft for 1.5 hours on a hot day!! Seriously, if you are going to be hauling that kind of load repeatedly, I'd start thinking turbine... Cheyenne, Conquest, something like that. Better load haulers and MUCH more reliable engines. My opinion anyway.
I bet a Carvan could go 10 full sized dudes and golf clubs and do that trip round trip with no problem. If the dudes weren't boat butts, you could probably do that complete trip tankering vfr reserves.

Grand Caravan has a 4,500lb useful load, and can be configured with 8 single row seats, so it would work, definitely.

dhc8fo said:

I agree with FN FAL...zero fuel weight is probably going to be the LEGAL limitation...I flew a Ram IV that had zero fuel weight for 6 (including pilot) with 110lbs for bags.

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
I agree with FN FAL...zero fuel weight is probably going to be the LEGAL limitation...I flew a Ram IV that had zero fuel weight for 6 (including pilot) with 110lbs for bags.

Fly safe!

David
I liked the 414...it was kind of like the Lincoln of piston twins, but I'd never push filling seats in one.

I flew jumpers a few times in a Seneca II with the rear doors removed and four fat assess on the floor. I told them if we were above a thousand feet, the two fat asses by the rear door had my permission to fall clear of the tail and play skydiver.

Engine failure below 1,000 feet, they had my orders to cinch up their seatbelts and perpare for the off airport landing...because I was not going to smoke my hope dope entertaining the onset of a VMC rollover trying fly that thing.

agpilot34 said:
Grand Caravan has a 4,500lb useful load, and can be configured with 8 single row seats, so it would work, definitely.

That would do the job, but you will need $1.5 million for a low time 3 year old Van, vs 300-350K for the 414.

Latest resources

Back