Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
looking for "real world" range for CRJ and/or ERJ aircraft for the following mission profile, if even possible. Also for DC-9/717

20 passengers with 50 pounds cargo per PAX, 1500 NM nonstop range with above payload. Non-luxury configuration. Straight "airline" seating with rear rows of seats removed for cargo (if FAA allows).

Able to depart 8500 MSL airports with above load, and do above trip

Able to land/depart 6000 foot strips at sea level with above load, and do above trip.

which (if any) aircraft can do this?

Consider the MD87

If initial price is an issue, the B717 may be too expensive, but there may still be some deals out there.

The MD87 has long range tanks, is about the size of the DC9-50 with more modern avionics and was disigned to operate out of MDW.

I have around 3000 hours in the DC9 and approaching 4000 on the MD80. The MD87 would be my pick for you mission. However, if you could swing the B717, it would use about half the gas or less, especially when light.

Jeff

PS: What will it pay? Put me on your speed-dial!

Them EMB-145XR meets those specs without any problem, as long as the runway at your 8500 ft MSL airport is a bit longer than 6000 ft. From sea level 6000ft isn't a problem.

ok thanks

I looked at aso.com and controller.com and could not locate any B-717s or EMB-145XRs for sale (no surprise).

Anyone have ballbark figures for pre-owned 717 or 145XR

ExpressJet is the only operator of the 145XR and we're not selling any so no pre-owned XR's.

It is size that matters

You will be punishing your pax if you put them on an ERJ instead of a DC-9. We get rave reviews from the college B'ball teams we haul around. When they charter a 50-seat jet, they normally get a RJ, but if they charter us they get a 50 seat 10 series DC-9. Ever see a 6'-10" guy in a RJ seat.

Last edited:
I second the MD-87 advice. Fairly roomy, powerful, and (these days) relatively cheap. They have the -219 engines of the much larger MD-83 and can do the 1500NM mission easily with reserves. Vanguard was paying around $85,000 a month for nice copies three years ago, I can only imagine that today they would be even more reasonable.

Good luck finding a used B717. Since the surplus TWA/AA airframes were distributed the remaining ones are almost completely spoken for, and the few available would come at a premium.

Latest resources

Back