Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

petitepilot

I need your help!!

The owner is thinking of getting a Challenger 850 and I'm looking for some real life numbers for this beast from those of you with experience.

What I'm most concerned about is the range, or lack thereof, coming back from Europe. What is initial altitude at max T/O weight? What is the range if you have to stay at the initial altitude for the duration of the flight? Pros and cons of operating this plane from a crew members perspective.

I have plenty of experience with the airline version of this plane so I'm only interested in performance data on the 850.

Appreciate any help from you guys.

I need your help!!

The owner is thinking of getting a Challenger 850 and I'm looking for some real life numbers for this beast from those of you with experience.

What I'm most concerned about is the range, or lack thereof, coming back from Europe. What is initial altitude at max T/O weight? What is the range if you have to stay at the initial altitude for the duration of the flight? Pros and cons of operating this plane from a crew members perspective.

I have plenty of experience with the airline version of this plane so I'm only interested in performance data on the 850.

Appreciate any help from you guys.

I would call Bombardier and ask them directly for data as well. I haven't seen many non-airline or non-corporate shuttle CRJs out there... Good luck.

I think they list the "ER" version at around 2700NM.

I'm not sure if that includes saddle tanks or even a tail tank. Some of the CRJs that are being modified into 850s have saddle tanks. 2700NM is less than a 601-3A/R.

Thanks.

Yea, I might end up having to call Bombardier, just trying to avoid the "happy numbers".
The listed max range of 2,800 to 3,000 NM at Mach .74 must be with step climbs enroute which one obviously can't count on in a non-radar environment.
No matter what, it's not very impressive.

Most of the CRJ-to-VIP conversions I've seen with the aux tank claim a range around 3000nm.

Even at MGTOW, I'd think one could easily get a -200 into the mid 30s and work up to 410 within a couple hours of takeoff.

Impressive performance? Perhaps not, but I'd say its not too bad while having that cabin and acquisition cost(<$20M).

For comparison's sake, an E135 based Legacy can go similar range (perhaps slightly further) and be acquired for somewhat less cost (5%) but it has a smaller cabin.

Latest resources

Back