Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RipCurl

surfing the midwest
I'm reading through some NTSB orders on the NTSB website, and in the cases I keep finding citations to other cases, but all the footnotes say is "Tr. at 125" or something like that. Right now I'm looking at Administrator v. Pick, EA-3646, and the reference states "Tr. at 66." I realize that Tr. must be some book containing all these cases, and 66 is probably the page number, but where do I find it? I have access to a law library, but they told me they don't have a lot of the old C.A.B. and NTSB stuff.

RipCurl said:
I'm reading through some NTSB orders on the NTSB website, and in the cases I keep finding citations to other cases, but all the footnotes say is "Tr. at 125" or something like that. Right now I'm looking at Administrator v. Pick, EA-3646, and the reference states "Tr. at 66." I realize that Tr. must be some book containing all these cases, and 66 is probably the page number, but where do I find it? I have access to a law library, but they told me they don't have a lot of the old C.A.B. and NTSB stuff.
About all I can tell you is find another Law Library, do you know of an attorney who does a bunch of aviation work? You might inquire where they go to look for NTSB orders. You night also contact somone at the FAA's office of regional Counsel, they may have thier own library.

I took a look at the order/opinion in question and it appears to me that "Tr." refers to "Transcript". Footnote 1 to the opinion/order states that the transcript of the ALJ proceeding (ALJ=Administrative Law Judge; in other words, the trial transcript) is attached and the various "Tr." references appear to me to be references to the pages in the transcript where the referenced testimony or argument or findings appear. It is analogous to a state court of appeal citing to RT (Reporters Transcript). That is my impression from looking at it.

See my immediately preceding post--this was an inadvertent duplication.

Last edited:
lawfly said:
I took a look at the order/opinion in question and it appears to me that "Tr." refers to "Transcript".
That's correct. Like other trails and administrative hearings, ALJ hearings are recorded by a court reporter so that there is an official record of the testimony and rulings made during the course of the trial. The references are to pages of transcript of the hearing in that one case.

Rip, a lot of law libraries do not have the NTSB reports. Aviation enforcement law is a pretty small specialty and budgets are budgets. Unless you are in an area where aviation enforcement is practiced heavily, state and even federal court libraries are unlikely to have it.

If you are in a location with a federal courthouse I'd check there, but your best bet is to check the online library catalogs (if available) of law schools in your area.

Latest resources

Back