Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snoopy58

Hey gang,

A couple of recent discussions yielded questions that I can't find an answer for. Manybe somebody here can point out a source document (FAR, AIM, etc) that answers these two questions for somebody operating in a civilian (IFR, part 121) operation.

1. Is it mandatory to read back altimeter settings? In the Air Force, the answer is a positive "yes," but I haven't found a similar requirement in the FAR's or AIM. Not saying it isn't there (I'm no FAR/AIM deity by a long shot), but if somebody can confirm / deny where such a requirement is located (or would be but isn't if there isn't one), I would be appreciative.

2. When you check in with an approach controller, are you required to check in with assigned heading and/or assigned airspeed (assuming you've previously been given them)? You hear lots of guys do this, but not everyone... are the guys who do just giving extra, semi-useful info, or are the guys who don't screwing up? We all know you check in with altitude (passing and assigned), but what about headings & airspeeds?

Thanks for any "chapter & verse" that I can show to the "unbelievers" out there!

Happy New Year!

Snoopy

heading.....

I don't believe there is a requirement to give assigned heading or airspeed on initial sign-in. Usually when you hear that, it's a pilot who is gently reminding the controller that they have a restriction that they want to get rid of or a turn on course.

Latest resources

Back