Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Read "Words of Truth" - "Major" board ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surplus1

it's a good lesson for those young dreamers willing to sell their souls (and their seniority) for the hope of a better "carreer" at the mainline.

Moral: Protect what you have, where you are, as best you can. The grass is just not as green as you imagine on the other side of the fence.

surplus1 said:
it's a good lesson for those young dreamers willing to sell their souls (and their seniority) for the hope of a better "carreer" at the mainline.

Moral: Protect what you have, where you are, as best you can. The grass is just not as green as you imagine on the other side of the fence.

Say what? Stay where you are and suk it up, eh? Your attitude would change 100% if you actually got hired at a place like CAL. Instead, you and the RJDC sit on your lazy butts and wish for larger planes, while management gets bonuses for outsourcing mainline jobs. You don't see it that way, but everyone else does. Sad but true. Are mainline pilots too expensive? We make less than Southwest pilots now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Say what? Stay where you are and suk it up, eh? Your attitude would change 100% if you actually got hired at a place like CAL. Instead, you and the RJDC sit on your lazy butts and wish for larger planes, while management gets bonuses for outsourcing mainline jobs. You don't see it that way, but everyone else does. Sad but true. Are mainline pilots too expensive? We make less than Southwest pilots now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

At times you make some real good comments. That wasn't one of them. IF your company liquidates it will not matter whether you are "expensive" or "cheap".

There's a reason why Southwest pilot make more than you do. In fact there are two reasons. 1) They've never been greedy at the expense of their company; you have. 2) Thier company has much better management than your company and has had it for a very long time.

It's time to stop crowing and be realistic.

Please tell me you do not really think the demise of any legacy carrier is the result of labor cost. I fear you want to believe that the dal pilots are evil and greedy. It gives your lawsuit some emotional relevance where it lacks any legal basis.

surplus1 said:
General,

At times you make some real good comments. That wasn't one of them. IF your company liquidates it will not matter whether you are "expensive" or "cheap".

There's a reason why Southwest pilot make more than you do. In fact there are two reasons. 1) They've never been greedy at the expense of their company; you have. 2) Thier company has much better management than your company and has had it for a very long time.

It's time to stop crowing and be realistic.

Realistic? Our RASM last year was 15% lower than the other Majors, which could have equated to an EXTRA $2.5 BILLION in revenue. Was that our fault? How about the Simplifares program that bombed? I remember approving that MYSELF. You need to understand that we are not at fault. The senior Southwest pilots actually screwed over their junior guys by accepting a 10 year agreement after allowing them to get stock. Any newhire after that did not get stock, and got stuck with a ten year agreement while the others got rich off of stock. Did you know that? Could that be greedy of their senior pilots? How about you guys with Lawson and asking for more CR7s when we had furloughed pilots? Was that greedy? Yes it was. Now we will take a stand and we will likely vote down any larger RJ allottment. I will vote a big NO, and I think every FO and every junior Captain that would be downgraded because of larger RJs. It just makes sense. Calling me greedy won't change that. The lack of a pension will cause us to focus more on scope, and a TA that doesn't show that will be voted down. We already TA'd a 100 seat rate, so why would we need 90 seaters too? We wouldn't. Is that realistic?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Regarding the SWA comments above, its very easy to make Southwest out to be the golden child, but you have to remember a couple of things. When you take fuel hedging out of the equation, (because eventually they will be back to the same field as everyone else without their fuel hedge) a lot of the "legacy" carriers costs per seat mile are getting down close to what Southewest's current costs are. Of course they may never be as low, they shouldn't be. The legacy carriers still offer a premium product with different class service and with an international fleet. I don't wish a gray future on any pilot, but Southwest has their day coming. When they are paying out the a$$ for fuel like everyone else, things won't be so great there either.

SWA IS the golden child...... why?

Because it is an employee-centric company with employee-centric management. Delta is not. That is why and that alone IMO.

For the record......I'm not refering to SWAs success as a company, merely the success of the pilot group.

Otto Coarsen said:
For the record......I'm not refering to SWAs success as a company, merely the success of the pilot group.

Perhaps that is true, but financially speaking everyone else is catching up. One of the best things to ever happen at that company was due to the few that predicted the future of oil and locked in those low rates with cash that most other airlines didn't have at the time. Regarding what the pilot group has done, heck they are holding the standards for the time being, but how much leverage does any pilot group really have with a company that is losing billions a year (ie most of the other arilines)??? It is a lot harder to come to the table and walk away with something for the pilots when the company is bleeding dry. The best thing in my opinion for the industry will be when Southwest's fuel futures run out, they have to raise prises to make money and everyone else can follow. What an interesting industry, perhaps the only that asks its employees to absorb increasing costs, instead of raising the price for the service it provides. People are going to have to get used to paying a lot more for tickets before this industry's woes are over. Cheers

Latest resources

Back