Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CitationCapt

STILL determined
The new RNAV arrival and departure procedures at SLC have apparently caused some violations, especially within the last 10 days (WEVIC One, for example http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0801/00365WEVIC.PDF ). Note the speeds and altitude restrictions at various fixes. These are being disregarded and getting some crews into trouble.

In addition, here are some notes from the SLC tower that I am passing along:

Note 1
---As soon as practical after takeoff, all aircraft must accelerate to 230 kts, do not comply with speeds on the departure until given the instruction to "resume normal speed".

[AIM paragraph 4-4-12 F NOTE‑

An instruction to "resume normal speed" does not delete speed restrictions that are contained in a
published procedure, unless specifically stated by ATC, nor does it relieve the pilot of those speed restrictions which are applicable to 14 CFR Section 91.117.]
From SLC tower
Pilots will be issued 230 knots via PDC or verbally with their clearance. They are expected to maintain that speed indefinitely until the departure controller issues something else - even if they pass a waypoint where a speed of 250 knots is authorized. (Don't worry, you won't be kept slow for long!) The speed restriction issued on the ground (230 knots) trumps all SID published speeds unless the controller assigns "resume normal speed" - in which case the pilot must fly the speed on the procedure. (That's in the AIM and in the AT handbook).
We've briefed our controllers that there will probably be some confusion among pilots with "resume normal speed" so they'll usually just assign the speed they need or say "delete speed restrictions". "Delete Speed Restrictions" allows the pilot to fly at whatever speed they –want regardless of the procedure.

Note 2
---Upon initial contact with Departure Control, state which departure you are currently flying".(Tower will also ask what your first fix is. this is expected for the first 30 days)

Note 3
---Clearance will not give you an Altitude in your clearance.

Happy flying... CC

Welcome to the East Coast. :D It's getting busy everywere ... just be carefull.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a question that I hope can be answered. I have looked at the new SID's out of SLC and in our Citation II, I am not sure if we can meet the altitude restrictions with the speeds given at the various fixes. My question is, can I fly at a slower indicated airspeed in between fixes so I can get the altitude, then reduce climb rate as to speed up to cross the fix at the appropriate speed and altitude? Then of course pitch up at a reduced airspeed to make the next fix/altitude restriction and again reduce climb rate to cross next fix at altitude/speed requirements.

Thanks

I have a question that I hope can be answered. I have looked at the new SID's out of SLC and in our Citation II, I am not sure if we can meet the altitude restrictions with the speeds given at the various fixes. My question is, can I fly at a slower indicated airspeed in between fixes so I can get the altitude, then reduce climb rate as to speed up to cross the fix at the appropriate speed and altitude? Then of course pitch up at a reduced airspeed to make the next fix/altitude restriction and again reduce climb rate to cross next fix at altitude/speed requirements.

Thanks
If you can't meet the restrictions don't file using that SID. Try one of the old SIDS or the SLC 9

That I figured, but I was curious on the RNAV SID's. Sometimes you can file a SID that you want and ATC will give you a different SID; if you can't accept that SID, then expect delays; example Las Vegas.

Rnav 1

Thanks

If you have an older Citation II, do you have a FMS that can fly RNAV 1 arrivals and departures? See AC 90-100 and 90-100A, both written in 2005. With many older FMS units, you won't be able to fly these legally. Most surprisingly, the Garmin 430/530 can do these, but many of the older Honeywells can't.

One of our aircraft has a GNS-XES, so we file a /W. We would get either the SL9, the Sevier1 or FFU6 departures, depending on takeoff direction, and either direct to FFU if landing north, or the Spane 4 from the east and the Jammn4 from the south, if landing to the south.

So, if you have an older FMS that can't fly RNAV 1's (type A's), then file a /W and decline any of these new arrivals and departures based on your equipment, or lack thereof. You may still have some crossing restrictions, such as 15 south of FFU at 15,000' and 250 kts, but that is an easy task.

Sorry for making a short answer long. Time for coffee.

CC

Last edited:
Just tell them unable and file showing GPS enroute only capabilities. The SLC FSDO is a piece of work.

Latest resources

Back