Re-regulation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
I have never had a job where I made a $100K/yr therefore it is a good number.
That's brilliant... :rolleyes: No offense, but how about a number that is well thought-out which yields a certain post-tax number that account for a lifestyle with a decent house, wife, kids, pets, cars, boats, vacations, holiday presents, and retirement savings and investments.

$100,000 is BARELY that NOW... much less in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years.

You also mention several other markets that price their product below the cost to produce it. Last I checked, Ford wasn't doing so well, and Wal-Mart can AFFORD to do that when their company makes money over-all because THEY HAVE A WORKING BUSINESS MODEL; this one's broken if you hadn't noticed. If the airlines would price ALL their routes in an overall STRATEGY to have the BOTTOM LINE IN THE BLACK, we wouldn't be having his discussion.

I agree, let the small routes die and let the small Cape Air 'Ma and 'Pa outfits who CAN make money doing them do them. Otherwise, let the passengers drive to a close-by city. As I said, "Let the chips fall where they may"...

Is there something I don't understand. I never made more $70K until this job, and I still don't come close to the $100K number. What am I doing wrong that I am happy with how I live on under $100K

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Is there something I don't understand. I never made more $70K until this job, and I still don't come close to the $100K number. What am I doing wrong that I am happy with how I live on under $100K

You probably don't have three ex-wives to support, yet!

pilotyip said:

Yip,

You are doing nothing wrong!! But why do YOU want to lump EVERYONE into a 100k? That is the impression I get, because you have not made that amount it. Would you expect a captain on 777 to make what you make on the DA-20? I think if you could make 100k on the DA-20 that would excellent, it would help in raising salaries elsewhere.

Why are we the only ones to stay at what we made 5,10,20 years ago when many other professions are getting raises to MAINTAIN that level of living.

You still have yet to give me valid explanation of why 100K, yes I know you have not made that amount, why not 150K, why not another number? What drives you to this mythical 100K.

Could you define whom is to make 100K? And where does the scale go from there. Once again just trying to figure out where you are coming from.

AA

P.S. Becareful, that mistress can cost more than the ex.
:pimp:

Probably 90% of the pilots make less than 100K. 100K is 6 figures, nice benchmark. I think it puts you in the upper 95% of income for this country. You can live a good life on 100K. 100K for a high school grad in a skilled trade, that is a good deal. I guess that is where the 100K comes from. I feel it is very doable in 10 years. There are few jobs out there that can make the same claim. I am happy with it, it appears you are not. To each his own, best of luck in reaching your goals. BTW We have number of DA-20 and DC-9 pilots making over 100K, flying about 50 hours a month. Is that raising the bar?

pilotyip said:
Probably 90% of the pilots make less than 100K. 100K is 6 figures, nice benchmark. I think it puts you in the upper 95% of income for this country.

Priceless.

Yeah YIP $100,000 definitely puts you "in the upper 95% of income for this country." No thinking necessary with that one.

$9,000 also puts one "in the upper 95% of income for this country".

All joking aside I think you meant upper 5%.

Last edited:
Thanks for help again

Thanks for the correction redmeat you know what I meant, 95% of the population would be below you. I went to State what else can I sayp>

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Probably 90% of the pilots make less than 100K. 100K is 6 figures, nice benchmark. I think it puts you in the upper 95% of income for this country. You can live a good life on 100K. 100K for a high school grad in a skilled trade, that is a good deal. I guess that is where the 100K comes from. I feel it is very doable in 10 years. There are few jobs out there that can make the same claim. I am happy with it, it appears you are not. To each his own, best of luck in reaching your goals. BTW We have number of DA-20 and DC-9 pilots making over 100K, flying about 50 hours a month. Is that raising the bar?

C'mon YIP, you and I both know that's a load of crap!!

We don't have a number of pilots making 100K/yr flying 50 hours a month. What is more factual is that we have some pilots who may make 100K this year who only few 50 hours for one or two months out of the year. And BTW, the other 50 are spent sitting around waiting for the pager to go off, so you are on duty all month. The ones who do make over 100K/yr are the small group of "company men" who don't mind staying on the road 29 days out of the month.

And what is this garbage about HS grads making 100K/yr as pilots? Hey YIP, is USA Jet going around to local high schools and recruiting graduates to come fly for them? Sure, there are some people with only the HS diploma flying for places like USA Jet, but they have been out of high school for well over 10 years. You make it sound like aviation is a gold-mine of wealth potential.

You should also point out that the 100K/yr does not go far in this economy, especially in the metro-Detroit area and especially after forking out a ton of money to learn how to fly. In the year 2015, do you honestly think 100K/yr is going to be good money? It's going to be like making 40K now. Inflation!!

Negative vibes

VABB, I detect negative vibes, no room for negative vibes life is too short. You must be at a different airline; we have a number of pilots bumping 100 hrs in 30 days right now. Our recon is one the highest in the company's history with day’s sold and over guarantee flying. We will see some $17K-$20K checks this month. As I have stated before I have never made a 100K, I live in the Detroit area, and I do just fine. You also misstate my $100K in 10 yr; I said 10 yrs after your first 135/121 job that is in your reach. We have had HS grads pilots reach that by their 28th birthday. In addition, as far as the HS grad goes, most of the pilots we hire have 4-yr degrees, because almost everyone has one these days. However, we like SWA, JB, etc do not let the absence of a degree stand in the way of hiring the right guy and so far we have done pretty good. Anybody wants to pipe in, I do not believe anyone in this company spends more than 10 days month on the road, unless they want to. Flying is still a great career if you like flying airplanes and anyone with a certain level of skill and desire can have a wonderful career flying airplanes. Do not let all the negativism you see on this board steer you away from a fantastic career.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back