• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

taz

Board Member
re: Jets for Jobs

Hey Bored to Death....BRAVO!!...Excellent post...
However I sence that you are a young kid, but very astute in the observation of your company, but i have a question for you.

1) What is the Difference between the "Original Potomac" and the 2nd Potomac? why shouldn't the original Employee's not be considered? After all the company never really closed, or the certificate surrendered.

2) Why would ALPA be for and give sanction to this version of potomac when the same ALPA 6 months ago was hell bent on it's demise??. Some how i see a conflict of interest here( & i'm no lawyer) if the sole purpose of revitalizing this Company is strictly for the "BENIFIT" of the Mainline Pilots, then i believe there is enough grounds for an Arbration judge voting against ALPA should it reach to that level!!

Say to TK for me will you!!!

Hey Taz,

Thanks for the kudos. I wish I was a young kid, being 31 and where I am now shows that I've made some bad choices in my carreer, but I'm trying to move on.

I'm not sure that I would be able to give you an intelligent answer to your questions since I'm still trying to figure out things in the ALPA Constitution and By- Laws. Every time I open that book I feel like I'm studying for the BAR. So please forgive my ignorance with respect to the Grievances priviously filed by PDT against POT, I only half heartedly understand it.

So in my post where I said POT should only be staffed by furloughed Mainline Pilots, I'm saying this because I do want the furloughed pilots to work, but I also don't want them to try and come to the top of my seniority list like has been suggested by their MEC. So let them have their own senoirity list to fight over at POT while sharing the wealth by giving all the WO the jets, and getting rid of the contract airlines. IMOH this would make for a much better enviornment than we have today. Mainline pilots would be working, all WO airlines would keep their senority intact, and we would have just five airlines, all owned by Group doing the flying.

With respect to the original employees of POT, the way I understand it is that POT was created for an entirely different reason than we're looking at today. That original plan did not work and now we need to use the certificate for another purpose.
The goal would be as Mainline flying increased the furloughees leave POT to go back to Mainline and slowly put POT to rest, while the remainder of their aircraft continue to be divided among the three WO. I seriously think this could work if management would step up to the plate and throw us a bone. Customers can see how happy employees are and I think the current situation is having a negative effect on our customers.

I think the bottom line is that the Mainline MEC is trying to do something good for its furloughees, but coming to the top of someones senority list and to make more money is a slap in the face. If they don't want to make what we make then go to POT make a contract that suits you and maybe it would be the kind of contract that we all can strive for. Or collect unemployement. Its thier choice, but the jets need to be divided equally so we all can make this company last .

Now I don't think I'll try to give any opinion to your second question since I'm not sure I even answered your first but I tried.

And like I said, these are just my thoughts on the situation at hand, I'm only trying to find ways so that the US Airways Group could win.

Heres one quick thought: What if just a few of us actually did come up with the perfect plan, Who the hell would listen to us?

Take Care, I gonna go get some sun now.

BTD

p.s. I have'nt met TK yet, but there are some management types cruising this board I'm sure he'll get the message.

Last edited:
Potomac never had an operating certificate, or any pilots. They were going to steal the cert from PSA, and hire new people. This was all to placate the feds about the United merger. Now, since that's a dead letter, the new potomac is designed to help mainline pilots at the expense of regional pilots. I'm not sure why the PDT and ALG didn't want to help with the rjdc, but now they are retaining the same lawyer for their case. He is the only one who has beaten ALPA, on a similar issue with Pan Am pilots who now work for Delta. You guys are a little late to the party, but welcome aboard. Anyway, this is Henson's original fight.

Driver,

Where did you get the information about POT stealing PSAs certificate. Thats the first time I've ever heard anything about that. Granted I've only been here a year but I've seen the way things work here and news like that would never be able to remain a secret.

true and false

Bored - skydiverdriver is correct, POT was going to use your cert. when the deal for DCair was first put out but that went away b/c of something in the PSA contract.

Skydiverdriver - yes pot was up and running with our (alg and pdt) aircraft for a while then they were shut down after 9/11. Some say it was b/c of the union grev. but I think U just shut it down to get it out of their hair before furloughing all the mainline guys. they mostly flew out of DAC to alb and phl and south. call sign was "district" but it was hard to hear with all the pdt and alg guys blocking them out.

""call sign was "district" but it was hard to hear with all the pdt and alg guys blocking them out.""

Seems like they could have learned a new trick by now.

Nice to know that the alg pilots block radio transmissions of fellow pilots putting the aircraft and pax in harms way. I am just curious what you guys want? Years ago you all complained when mesa started flying the jets under the Us Airways colors, saying that it should be the wo's. But mesa was the one buying them, which gives them the right to fly them right? Now that mainline is buying them and putting them at the wo's your still not happy. Do you really think it's fair that mainline buys them and all the pilots at the regionals get to fly them possibly create new positions at these companies while there are 1073 pilots on furlough at mainline??? Bottom line.... if you guys really don't want the jets then pick up the phone or send an email to Dave Siegal or Stephen wolf and let them know. I am sure that they will be more then happy to give the flying to mesa or other outsourced companies. Problem solved!!!!!! And there would be nothing to complain about.

Latest resources

Back