re-entry to flying status

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUBMAN

I am trying to re-enter the work force as a pilot after many years of non-flying status and am wondering what thoughts some of you might have as far as how to successfully go about it. As like everybody else I'm having a heck of a time. I am current and qualified under 135. Is a commuter pathway a viable route even though it is slave wages. Could I even be hired after all this time.

Before someone else yells at you, let me be the first to state, it is bad etiquette to post the same thing in multiple forums.

It may be very hard to find something if you have been on the couch a long time. There are people that are current that are struggling to find jobs. It could happen but you would have to work to get make it happen. When you go to fill out any apps with bigger operations they ask all sorts of things like time in last 12 or 24 months. Even without a formal app, i think the smaller operators want to know you are current. With many people applying for the same spot, I think they would weed out the resumes somehow and lack of recency could be a killer disqualification.

Are you a CFI? When have you flown the planes you are typed in last? Where are you located? If you are still insurable in the planes you are typed in and you are in an area with some charter you might find work that way. I think you should do anything you can to get some recent flight time.

According to all the experts the market is going to be starved for pilots in the next two years so it is a good time to get going so you will be ready when the big hiring boom of 2012 starts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back