• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Re: Chieftain Pilot Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys, Thanks for all the input. I am weighing the options. I would prefer to get a small King Air. Maybe even an older Citation or Lear. I think the King Air would work out better financially over the long haul. It is just the added upfront cost that is the issue. Bigger monthly nut requires more flying to cover etc. But then it should be in more demand...... Anyway, I guess we will figure it out one way or another!

DON'T DO IT!! Fly for somebody else, go home at night, and don't worry about it. :D Seriously, though, the Chieftain is a good airplane for pax and/or cargo, BUT the fleet is getting old, And those -J2BD engines can require a lot of TLC. Get a VG kit and the heavy gear braces. Don't bother with a "baby-ho," the extra two seats or few hundred pounds of useful load are worth the price difference. Whoever it was that mentioned the insurance/operating cost of a PA-31 versus turboprops was right on, but the acquisition cost of the turboprops can be a bit much. It is coming down with the new jets and such, but consider that older C-90's can generate a fair bit of maintenance cost in their own right. After about 4,000 hours in the Chieftain in Alaska, and then moving to a jet in the lower 48, I'd have to say that I now consider the Chieftain to be a good VFR only light twin! :p

sleddriver77 said:
After about 4,000 hours in the Chieftain in Alaska, and then moving to a jet in the lower 48, I'd have to say that I now consider the Chieftain to be a good VFR only light twin! :p

Agreed!! a decent jet or turboprop is much easier to fly IFR than a Chieftain. Flying PA31 in a commuter operation in the Northeast corridor in and out of LGA and BOS IFR with thunderstorms, ice, snow, winds, low IFR all single pilot was about the toughest flying job I had. Like it or not, it's a high workload aircraft and a marginal performer even with two engines running. Oh and I had a PA31 engine come apart on me right after takeoff.

PA-31?? Go for turbine :)

The PA-31 is a great airplane if you have a great maintenance staff and a lot of money. I have to squak a cheiftain at least 1 time a week. Mostly little things but, it adds up. As far as flying it...it is a handfull. The cylinders need to be baby'd and the gear speed is pretty slow(at least company gear speed)...put that with a hard IFR day and it can be a busy plane. Besides that though, I love it. I'm also not paying the bills!

Latest resources

Back