• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrnJetFuel

NetJets Slave
Raytheon CEO: We must fix jet unit
BLOOMBERG NEWS
LEXINGTON Raytheon Co., the maker of Beechcraft and Hawker business jets, would consider selling its aircraft business after fixing problems at the unit, Chief Executive William Swanson said.

The unit is not a "core" business of Raytheon, Swanson said at a Morgan Stanley conference in Scottsdale, Ariz. It's the first public statement Swanson made about the aircraft unit since becoming chief executive July 1.

Raytheon has been working to trim losses at the unit and return it to profit. Unit Chief Executive James Schuster cut aircraft losses to $4 million last year from $760 million in 2001. Its aircraft backlog shrank to $2.2 billion in the second quarter, from $4.7 billion a year earlier, after customers including Berkshire Hathaway Inc.'s NetJets Inc. canceled orders.

"You don't want to make a decision like that when you have to put your business in the right shape," Swanson said when asked if he'd sell the unit. "As soon as the market wakes up and people realize there is a rationalization that needs to take place, we'll be in the right position to be able to do that."

Raytheon's competitors include Textron Inc., the maker of Cessna aircraft, and the Gulfstream unit of General Dynamics Corp. Sales at Wichita, Kansas-based Raytheon Aircraft rose 19 percent to $627 million last quarter, or 14 percent of the parent company's total revenue. Profits fell 36 percent to $7 million, while deliveries rose to 87 planes from 81.

Raytheon said Tuesday that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has formalized an investigation into its aircraft unit. The SEC, which began an informal probe in January, is reviewing accounting at the unit from 1997 to 2001.

Shares of Raytheon closed yesterday at $32, up 10 cents, in New York Stock exchange trading yesterday.

This is news only in the light that the SEC is showing a bit of interest. When Ken was shown the door and Raytheon took over, you only needed to look at the bio of the new CEO. He is a Mergers, Aquisitions and divestitures guy. He is there to but a shine on the "product" and move it, pure and simple. He has already positioned RAC to provide mx for the next five years, I assume that will go with the sale, income with no exposure. 12 months and there will be a new owner of FLOPs. My prediction.

Old, old news. Raytheon will gladly dump any business that is not directly related to defense; including RAC and Flight Options. Whether or not they get someone to pay the price they want is another story.

everyone is a pyschic

It's funny how so many people become armchair CEO's and can predict the future of fortune 500 companies.

I think you have a larger calling in life!

Not an armchair CEO, just someone who can read. Every now and then over the past few years, there have been articles in the WSJ about Raytheon's efforts to get out of everything that is not defense related. This has also been mentioned in some of their quarterly reports in the past. Again, I am not someone that can predict the future of Fortune 500 companies but I can comprehend the occasional WSJ article. (Of course the financial section is pure gobooldy-guk to me.) ;)

So, what does the Magic 8 Ball say a sell-off would mean to Flight Options?

Latest resources

Back