• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

Comair Illegally Refused to Hire Rastafarian, U.S. Lawsuit Says
Bloomberg
September 13, 2005
Comair Inc., a regional commuter unit of Delta Air Lines Inc., refused to hire a man as a flight attendant because of his Rastafarian religion, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said in a lawsuit.
The suit, filed Sept. 2 in a Michigan federal court, alleges that Cincinnati-based Comair declined to hire Christopher Peart after he told a company recruiter his religious beliefs prohibit him from cutting his hair, EEOC attorney Trina Mengesha said. The

refusal violated the 1964 Civil Rights Act, she said.

`Peart applied for a job at a job fair and made the first cut,'' Mengesha said in an interview. ``He was then brought in for an interview and shown a slide show on the company's grooming policy. After he told the recruiter about his religious beliefs,

he received a rejection letter.''

The EEOC is seeking punitive and compensatory damages and wants the company to institute hiring policies that accommodate religious beliefs.

Chris Kelly, a spokeswoman for Comair, could not be reached for comment.

Mengesha said the company requires its male flight attendants to keep their hair trimmed above the collar line. US Airways Inc. agreed to change its policy on men's hair length to settle a similar EEOC suit in 2002.

Rastafarianism is a religion that originated in Jamaica in the 1930s. Members associate the process of growing their hair into a style known as dreadlocks with a spiritual journey.

Shares of Delta, the third-largest U.S. airline, fell 3 cents to 82 cents at 11:45 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

The case is EEOC v. Comair, 05-cv-601, U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan.

I know I used to be a Rastafarian. I used to have a voodoo doll I carried in my flight case, Jaboo. However after the Christmas fiasco last year and now furloughs, I no like Jaboo. I say:
"I'm pissed now, Joboo. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now, I say, fu** you, Joboo. I do it myself!"

Seriously, I don't think this will get far...there's plenty of precident in the law for companies to enforce hairstyle and hygiene standards. I wonder if they ever gave this guy a drug test. :) Rasta!!

Last edited:
BushwickBill said:
As the director of the Pilots For the Legaization of Weed I applaud this Rastas legal actions. Bravo! Make you help our foundation one day see the world a much more mellow place.

Hey man!!, How can I join!!

Seriously could he say that smoking the cheeba is part of his religion so he should be allowed to be excused from drug testing? God bless America.

He wont win this..a company has a right to outline the hiring criteria for all employees dress code...some have a non tobbaco use requirement..this guy is saying it is over religion...it not..BS meter Pegged!

1.) We have a male pilot with a long ass pony tail.... a compromise was made to allow him to stay (he tucks it under a really, really cheap wig)

2.) The hair up/short for the FAs is due to food service regulations, even though they no longer serve food or at least real food.

3.) I was told that we had a female pilot who claimed that she had very bad migranes from p.m.s. and wearing the hat made it worse, and wanted exemption from the hat. And to Comair's credit and a certain CP, they told her if she couldn't wear the uniform for medical reasons then she needed to be removed from flight status and placed on medical leave/disability.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back