Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SDCFI

Registered Offender
How is it aviation companies can do this? I'm a "reserve" pilot at my base. We are paid the standard 8hrs/day, 40hrs/week; however our duty periods are 12 hours. Last week I sat reserve for 60 hours but was only paid 40 per our employee handbook. How many companies in other fields can basically force employees to work for free? Also, found out a pilot 1.5 years junior to me is starting Brasilia Captain training monday. There are 3 people senior to him at his base, not to mention the folks company-wide who are senior and have bids in for the Bro. Oh, but he was an F/O previously so he only needs to go to school for 1 week as opposed to 4 for an new Captain. It's a cost of doing business people. Why bother having a seniority list if it doesn't mean anything? I vote that when they do this everyone senior to this person who has a bid for the same spot and who is qualified to hold it should be paid the rate for the larger aircraft. Maybe then they would actually upgrade in seniority order. Life without a contract I guess. It's late, thanks for listening. Rant - Off.

SDCFI said:
How is it aviation companies can do this? I'm a "reserve" pilot at my base. We are paid the standard 8hrs/day, 40hrs/week; however our duty periods are 12 hours. Last week I sat reserve for 60 hours but was only paid 40 per our employee handbook. How many companies in other fields can basically force employees to work for free? Also, found out a pilot 1.5 years junior to me is starting Brasilia Captain training monday. There are 3 people senior to him at his base, not to mention the folks company-wide who are senior and have bids in for the Bro. Oh, but he was an F/O previously so he only needs to go to school for 1 week as opposed to 4 for an new Captain. It's a cost of doing business people. Why bother having a seniority list if it doesn't mean anything? I vote that when they do this everyone senior to this person who has a bid for the same spot and who is qualified to hold it should be paid the rate for the larger aircraft. Maybe then they would actually upgrade in seniority order. Life without a contract I guess. It's late, thanks for listening. Rant - Off.

Welcome to the wondeful of aviation! I have never worked for a carrier that had a union on the property that did not deserve it....................

Ameriflight?

SDCFI said:

Is this ameriflight? I worked there and what you have to understand is the seniority list is just a piece of paper. I was hired off the street into the metro. When a company can do that, your seniority only counts for vacation and pay. Some guys wanted a union, but that won't help. Unions just screw stuff up. You have to take the good with the bad. you might work 60 hours one week and get paid for forty. But at ameriflight, I worked many 24 hour weeks and got paid for 40. You will not be able to do that with a union. I understand your rant, but ameriflight is better than any regional out there. Good rant, and just hang in there, you will find something soon enough.

And to add a little to what merlindrvr said. I am not a big fan of unions either. In short order they becaome thier own animal which must be fed and sometiimes they feed on whats feed ing them. they don't just bite the hand that feeds them, hell they rip it off and devour it whole................

the current seniority system and the e120 program have little to do with one another, as per the handbook. senior e120 f.o.'s have a much better shot at landing the left seat than other line pilot's. deal with it.

as per the reserve line, i agree. but you do have to consider that for every week your flying your butt off spending nights at deepsticks wisconsin you'll probably also have a week where you only work three days.

SDCFI said:
How is it aviation companies can do this?
They can do it because guys like you are willing to show up and work for the man under just about any condition just to fly an stink'in airplane. Nobody's "forcing" you to work for these clowns. You're the second half of the problem. So quit bitch'in.

Last edited:
Draginass said:
They can do it because guys like you are willing to show up and work for the man under just about any condition just to fly an stink'in airplane. Nobody's "forcing" you to work for these clowns. You're the second half of the problem. So quit bitch'in.

Firstly I was asking from a legal standpoint how a company can have you work more hours than they pay you for. But to address your point this is why 1) I am trying to get out of here, and 2) I am asking around for ways to change this. I am certainly not of the opinion that a union is the sure-fire answer either. Knowing our management they would just laugh if asked to change the pay matrix. They know this is a stepping stone job for most people, but for those of us who stick around in the turbines for awhile pay and QOL become much more important. I just think the 40hr week should be a "min guarantee", and if you work more than that you are paid more accordingly. This is my first experience as a full time reserve. Up until now I have been flying regular runs which have duty days that add up to around 35-40 hours a week.

The people I work for have me on duty for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Thats 60 hours also. I'm flying about 5 hours a day, however, similiarly, they don't pay overtime for my downtime, if it adds up over 40 hours per week. In fact, they don't pay the first hour of down time, nor from when you come on duty - just intermediate stops, and mileage. The other funny thing is, I'll earn more money if the second, third or forth leg courier is late, and less money if they are early (and on-time).

I thought when I started that it would be like Firemen etc. They hang out at the firehouse, on duty (are required to be there), and they get paid overtime.

Its the nature of the beast. If you don't like it, move on, and let your spot open up for some other young, bright-eyed pilot. Ameriflight is a great company from the interaction I've had with their pilots, and much better than any regional, so count your lucky stars you aren't looking at being furloughed after the holidays.

Latest resources

Back