Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rattler said:
Poor
1. Skywest (Non union, but stable...lots of money in the bank)
2. Chataqua (new contract, but could have achieved much better pay and work rules)
3. Mesa (will "really" fly for food)
4. Great Lakes
5. Commute Air (Voted "no" for ALPA)
6. Colgan
7. Air Shuttle

Worst
1. Gulf Stream

What work rules did you have in mind at CHQ? Of course, I question the logic of any Red Sox fan.

Ok before everyone gets offended...I simply ofered my opinion. If you think I ranked your airline poorly, sorry. I will try to give some reasoning. Feel free to also express your opinion.

Did I rank them according to lowest moral and upgrade time?

No I did not. I believe the airline you are defending is CHQ? I ranked CHQ as poor for a couple of reasons.

1. We are in a time when most airlines are negotiating our first or second contracts since the introduction of the RJ. I rated Comair as #1 because they stood up for what they believed in and got an industry leading contract. And for the first year it set the standard. Air Wis and ACA both exceeded the Comair contract only to lose to concessions due to the troubles with United. In my opinion these 3 pilot groups made many sacrifices to improve both the pay rates and the image of small jet operators. The idea here guys is that every contract that comes along is supposed to get better. Not worse. For example: Comair gets 5 yr CA @ $68, Air Wis gets $70 then ACA gets $72.....get the idea? I have heard pilots say things like "we need to except lower rates so we can be competitive", "we should sign this below industry ave. pay so we can grow" "I won't be here long anyway, I'm going to a major" WTF? Here are some pay rate examples:

CHQ: 5yr CA $63/hr FO $34/hr
retirement: NONE
Profit sharing: NONE
401K: 2.5-6%
NEWLY SIGNED CONTRACT: 10/04

X-Jet: 5yr. CA $59/hr FO $33/hr
retirement: NONE
401K: 2-6%
SIGNED CONTRACT: 10/97

ASA: 5 yr. CA $59/hr FO $37/hr
SIGNED CONTRACT: (I BELIEVE 98)

Comair: 5 yr. CA $68/hr FO $41/hr
Retirement: B-Plan 2-10%
401K: 2.5 %
CONTRACT SIGNED: 01

So the point I am making, from 97 to 04 all your pilot group could come with is $4/hr raise for CA's? that's barely inflation. Thanks for nothing.

You asked about work rules. I am sorry I could not document the actual numbers, so not knowing for sure I will not post them. I couldn't find them on the web. If you have them and can compare them to other airlines work rules please do.

The next reason I ranked certain companies the way I did has to do with stability. Will USAir survive? I hope for all the families involved that they do. Unfortunatly, I believe the liquidation is just around the corner. What happens to all the USAirways feeders? I hope there is a backup plan. I have been furloughed and I don't wish that on anyone.

Next questions is "how good is the product that your airline provides?""What does your company own?""is there money in the bank?" (I am not a fan of SkyWest, but I do give them credit, they have alot of cash on hand. Very important right now, with so many others in trouble) "What does your company do for you?" "Can you trip trade?" "how many days off can you bid"" How's the equiptment?Jet? Prop? new? old?" "How's the maintenence? Is it in house or outsourced?"

Then I ask if all else fails, can you retire at your airline? Because the majors are shrinking, retirements are not being replaced. 737 flying is being replaced by 70 and 100 seat RJ's for very low pay. I'm sorry but $75/hr for an E190 is terrible. By the way what does the similar sized NWA DC9 pay? I think you get the point.

There is my view. Flame away.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back