Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ramp damages a/c causes decompression and emergency descent.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blkav8tor2003

A ramp supervisor friend of mines here in PHX gave me the heads up on and incident of a decompression with Alaska Airlines where I worked on the ramp for almost 2 years which turned out to be pretty serious in nature plus the reporters said the plane fell out of the sky from 28000' ft (FL280) and he said it was a steep emergence descent not a falling plan out of the sky as it was reported. I'll post part of the story and the link.

SEATAC, Wash. -- An Alaska Airlines MD-83 bound for Burbank, Calif., returned to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday after a hole in the plane's fuselage caused the jet's cabin to lose pressure, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

It wasn't immediately clear what caused the 12- by 6-inch hole near the cargo door on the plane's left side, but a union official told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News that a non-union baggage handler operating a conveyor machine knocked the hole in the jet.

Flight 536 left Sea-Tac at 3:54 p.m. Passengers heard a loud bang as the aircraft was climbing to cruising altitude, a Federal Aviation Administration representative said. The aircraft lost pressurization about 20 minutes into the flight and oxygen masks deployed. The jet landed at Sea-Tac at 4:53 p.m.

None of the 140 passengers or crew members on board were hurt. Passengers were put on a different plane and taken to Burbank.

Both the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents baggage handlers, has been in a dispute with Alaska Airlines over the outsourcing of the company's baggage handling operations. Nearly 500 baggage handlers were laid off in May in a move the company said would save $13 million a year.
Copyright 2005 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved.

Tell me what you think!!!

I don't think there are many reporters out there who know how to report aviation incidents and accident correctly, they are to fast on the mouth and in a hurry to beat the next news station and seem to always report very bad info and very inaccurate. (IMO) in my opinion

BlkAv8tor2003

Latest resources

Back