• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rah ta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On APC, there is some info regarding alleged new agreed-upon pay rates in the TA.

I'm going to compare the first 5 years of F.O. pay: new rates (76 seat) vs. the old 50 seat rates. On the surface, it looks like a decent bump in pay. But when you do the math, RAH pilot will be flying more people for less pay, (per seat). I call that "concessionary".

.................................New EJet Blended FO Rate.............Old "All Jets" FO Rate.
yr 1....................................30................................................23
yr 2....................................41................................................31
yr 3....................................46................................................36
yr 4....................................47.50...........................................37
yr 4....................................49................................................37
Average Hourly
pay per seat per hour.........$0.56............................................$0.65

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but ya gotta start somewhere. In the age of the "pilot shortage", I don't think pilots can call it "progress" when they fly more people for less money.
Pilot shortage? Chautauqua is closing it's doors, Eagle is downsizing and a fairly significant reduction of the ExpressJet fleet. Should be plenty of pilots to fill the seats at the regionals that are still standing,at first year pay.

Those down-sizings won't create an excess of pilots, they are the result of not enough pilots.

Pilot shortage? Chautauqua is closing it's doors, Eagle is downsizing and a fairly significant reduction of the ExpressJet fleet. Should be plenty of pilots to fill the seats at the regionals that are still standing,at first year pay.

15,000 retirements in 10 years at the big 3 legacies. That is significant, even with 50 seaters leaving. AA still wants someone to fly more E175s, and if Eagle won't do it, someone else will. That is just moving equipment around.

My advice to all RJ FOs. If you can't upgrade to Capt soon, apply to a LCC like JB. In the near future, LCCs will hire mostly RJ FOs because they won't be as marketable as RJ Capts with PIC, and may stick around longer and upgrade before they start looking around if things aren't "great." Right now, apply to JB, Frontier, Spirit, Virgin America, Sun Country, etc. If you like it, great. If not, a legacy would LOVE to poach you most likely. They know it costs a competitor money too to train a newhire to replace you and upgrade another if you leave as a Capt. I think you will have more options if you go to a LCC if you are an FO now with no upgrade in sight. Good luck. Any questions, PM me. I can give advice, you decide.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Republic doesn't need to get caught up in the pay rates as much as they should those crappy work rules. Work rules is the good soft money you make...... And the company knows that!! They'd give you a 30% to keep those crappy work rules.

15,000 retirements in 10 years at the big 3 legacies. That is significant, even with 50 seaters leaving. AA still wants someone to fly more E175s, and if Eagle won't do it, someone else will. That is just moving equipment around.

My advice to all RJ FOs. If you can't upgrade to Capt soon, apply to a LCC like JB. In the near future, LCCs will hire mostly RJ FOs because they won't be as marketable as RJ Capts with PIC, and may stick around longer and upgrade before they start looking around if things aren't "great." Right now, apply to JB, Frontier, Spirit, Virgin America, Sun Country, etc. If you like it, great. If not, a legacy would LOVE to poach you most likely. They know it costs a competitor money too to train a newhire to replace you and upgrade another if you leave as a Capt. I think you will have more options if you go to a LCC if you are an FO now with no upgrade in sight. Good luck. Any questions, PM me. I can give advice, you decide.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's already happening! JB will now most likely hire a 4 year RJ pilot knowing he doesn't have the PIC time to jump to one of the 4 bigs.

Republic doesn't need to get caught up in the pay rates as much as they should those crappy work rules. Work rules is the good soft money you make...... And the company knows that!! They'd give you a 30% to keep those crappy work rules.

That's what none of the knuckleheads over here can possibly understand. Everyone here is wrapped around the axle demanding a 25K plus signing bonus and top pay rates. Those two things don't mean ******************** without the accompanying work rules. $300 an hour is nice but worthless if every other ********************ing leg gets cancelled. That nice signing bonus will go right back to the company when they just double or triple health care costs next year.

I think it's a smart play. Those LCCs aren't bad at all, and you may enjoy it and it certainly would be a step up from the Regionals. Get ahead of this hiring wave if you aren't in a position for PIC. When the Legacies run out of qualified Captains to hire, they will look at LCC FOs next. You might love your LCC, and then you are happy anyways. If not, then you will have a better shot at the Legacies compared to being a Regional FO. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's already happening! JB will now most likely hire a 4 year RJ pilot knowing he doesn't have the PIC time to jump to one of the 4 bigs.

That's what I mean. They hope you won't leave and the lack of PIC will keep you there a bit longer to upgrade. Maybe conditions there will improve and people won't leave. It's probably better than a Regional...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back