• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Goofs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard this exact same thing before. Except he read back "call sign only" at the end of the transmission not the beginning.

What it really shows is that at an unfamiliar airport, when the FO recieves a long taxi clearance, he's not really paying attention to WHAT is being said, he's just quickly memorizing it and rattling it back.

That's why sometimes when a Captain asks "was it Mike or Lima?" their FO might say..."I'll ask"..

This is the sort of thread that could go for pages!

One I remember back in the 90's. We were taxing in after landing in Seattle, late evening. Luckily just after we got our clearance to the ramp a Delta flight was taxing out for T/O and started giving his "welcome aboard" speech........except he was on ground control! He rambled on and on for 2 or 3 minutes; we were cracking up as we entered our ramp area. Just before we parked he finished. Instantly someone else said: "Delta, we didn't catch all that, can you say again!" Then ground: "Delta xxx, when you get to your destination please call us at xxx-xxx-xxxx)!

My favorite ATL Ground transmission was the one telling us to "Give way to the ATR Chick Magnet crossing right-to-left".

:laugh:

My favorite was a few years ago in LAS there were about 7 aircraft holding short of 25R at different intersections. Towers radio call was "all aircraft holding short of 25R were cleared to cross 25R acknowledge by crossing."

It was great.

I've done the "welcome aboard flt xxx, yadda yadda yadda, flight attendants please be seated for takeoff" announcement on the CVG tower frequency. I only realized I had erred, when I heard multiple Homer Simpson like "DOHs" on the frequency.

I've done the "welcome aboard flt xxx, yadda yadda yadda, flight attendants please be seated for takeoff" announcement on the CVG tower frequency. I only realized I had erred, when I heard multiple Homer Simpson like "DOHs" on the frequency.

Not to worry... no one would hear you mess up there now.

Leaving ORD last Monday, the outbound ground controller issued 9 taxi clearances, took a deep breath, and issued 7 more...one EAGLE guy asked if one of the clearances was for him...

My most recent favorite was in Dallas Love recently when taxiing in. GRD gave a rather complicated taxi instruction to Soutwest Maintnance xxx (a taxi-qualified mechanic moving an airplane):

GRD: "SW Maint, taxi via taxiways delta, charlie one, backtaxi on 36, then charlie two to your area." (something like that; I don't remember exactly)

SW Maint: "Uh,.. uh.. we'll do all that crap."

- pause -

Me: "Ground, Southwest 123, did you tell that guy to do crap?"

GRD: (lauging in background) "Apparently I did. Hope it comes out okay!"

Bubba

As demonstrated last night flying DEN-BOS, what's the best way to get pilots to clobber 121.5?

Tell them to stop talking on 121.5. "This is an emergency frequency. Be professional and stop using it for....". I'm pretty sure it was flame bait.

Latest resources

Back