Radio Goofs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wesb737fo

O.K. Sitting in line for takeoff at ATL. ATC has several aircraft to cross 27R to get to their respective ramps (if you are in ATL alot you know it sometimes takes a while). ATL tower gives the following " airline xxx..at taxiway D...cross 27R...left on taxiway M join taxiway L at ramp 4..call sign only on the read back please".

Aircraft responds " airline xxx call sign only, at D cross 27R on ...L ..no.. M... then .... join ramp....ughhh.. turn left on L to urrr join L at ramp 4.....airline xxx.

Tower responds " airline xxx.....thanks"

I don't know if you guys meant to do that but you gave my Captain and I a pretty good laugh. Not sure about ATL tower though.

O.K. Sitting in line for takeoff at ATL. ATC has several aircraft to cross 27R to get to their respective ramps (if you are in ATL alot you know it sometimes takes a while). ATL tower gives the following " airline xxx..at taxiway D...cross 27R...left on taxiway M join taxiway L at ramp 4..call sign only on the read back please".

Aircraft responds " airline xxx call sign only, at D cross 27R on ...L ..no.. M... then .... join ramp....ughhh.. turn left on L to urrr join L at ramp 4.....airline xxx.

Tower responds " airline xxx.....thanks"

I don't know if you guys meant to do that but you gave my Captain and I a pretty good laugh. Not sure about ATL tower though.

He did the right thing. You are suppose to read back all runway crossings not just call sign.

He did the right thing. You are suppose to read back all runway crossings not just call sign.

Uh, sure, if you're in Moline, maybe. ;)

"ALL Aircraft, Acknowledge with Call Sign Only" is a standard instruction in ATL, and they expect you to follow it. It's not some random ground controller doing it, it's the way they clear aircraft to cross the inboards during peak arrival times.

Last edited:
So ATL controllers don't want to be bothered with those pesky comm rules?

Yep. Just like in ORD. If it's busy and the controller is rattling off one taxi instruction after another, it is assumed you're just going to pull out and go without a readback. Now, 99.9% of the time, when they're doing this, no hold shorts are involved. It's a simple "22L, B, D" or "32L at T10, A, A7, T."

So ATL controllers don't want to be bothered with those pesky comm rules?

After the 10/28 runway complex opened, ATL Ground tried a number of different methods to handle the aircraft that needed to be cross 9R and especially 9L. Some of these were published and distributed to Pilots via yellow Jepp advisory charts, or crew room "briefing" letters. . . . been a number of years . . . don't remember if this was one that that got published or not.

Either way, I'd be willing to bet it is in a manual or letter somewhere in the tower cab. There are a few ATL Controllers on FI, or there used to be. Perhaps one of them can elaborate.

Regards,

Ty

I'm fine abbreviating readbacks if that's what they want but I'm not going to skip runway crossings. Gotta cover my own butt.

Latest resources

Back