• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Communications

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It takes maybe one more second to read back the RNY heading. I see it as a non-issue in relation to radio congestion.

And I disagree with responding "Roger" to anything. You really should read it back. I've seen way too many student pilots respond "Roger", and when I asked them what they just rogered, they had no idea. It's poor form.

Read back quickly and you sound like a professional, respond with "Roger" and it sounds like you are behind the airplane, or weren't ready to hear what the controller just said. Being prepared for what they say before they say it, your response will take a beat longer than roger, and do away with any inhibitions of the controller or other airplanes that you didn't fully understand what was said to you.

If you guys had any IDEA how many times I issue a TO clearance, and get two or more responses from different aircraft.

Please readback the call sign and runway. Please.

I don't care what some "hot-sh*t" controller at another facility says. If he's too busy for someone to readback "AAL345 rolling 17 Left", then he's TOO **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** BUSY for safety PERIOD!

Readback the runway AND the intersection if appropriate.

Here's another argument for reading back the runway. SkyWest had a pilot violated a few years ago for taking off the wrong direction in SLC one day. They were landing one direction when the crew picked up the ATIS and when they had just come in previously. On taxi out they were a little late and asked for an intersection departure since the taxiway led directly to the center of the runway. They were cleared for takeoff for one direction but took off the other way that traffic was flowing. The tower had just turned the airport around and they didn't listen to the takeoff clearance closely. That captain told me that after that violation he always wanted the FO to read back the runway number on every takeoff. That way if you think you're cleared for takeoff on a certain runway but you're wrong then the tower has one last chance to correct you.

With all of the airport congestion and runway incursions taking place these days, how is the extra 1 second spent repeating the runway number going to hurt anything?

Not only does it help to verify YOU are on the correct runway but more importantly it helps the situational awareness of EVERYONE on frequency. Especially during paralell and intersecting runway ops.

So if you're not repeating the runway number in the readback you're not just hurting yourself, but also jepordizing others.

It's quite similar to those lazy bastages that don't take the time to move thier little pinkie and use their turn signal.

Tell your boss to worry less about what the "cool" professionals do and just do what is right.

Just a thought......
I don't say "ready for takeoff"...I either say departure or ready to go. In several instances someone in position on another runway or an intersection hears the word 'takeoff' and pulls out and goes. Not a huge deal, but some controllers cringe at their pet peeve of someone other than them initially saying"takeoff"

--- T-Hawk

Last edited:
skyking1976 said:
it just so happens that the guy sitting next to you is the boss.

I do not agree with the above statement. Nowadays the FAA could care less who the PIC was after a pilot deviation. They will go after the SIC just like they were the PIC for not telling the Captain how to say it. I don't agree with it, but that is how the FAA looks at it.

Reading back the runway is part of good radio phraseology and can stop a life ending accident from occuring, so why people say it's a waste of time and not professional is beyond me. If there is too much radio congestion then the FAA should fix it....it's not our responsibility to cut our transmissions short because the FAA doesn't want to pay for more frequencies or an ATC system that can actually handle the number of aircraft using it.

How many airports have 3 even 4 parallel runways 33L 33 33R 34. Or various Runways that start pretty close to each other such as MDW or ORD, BOS, there are many others which I'm
its very easy to get it mixed up. I'm sure a few of us have been given a clearance to taxi to takeoff from or even land on the oppossing runway 09 versus 27, and this initial call was the controllers mistake, We all have seen someone accidetally stop short at the wrong runway. you our cleared for taxi 13 and someone is not paying attention and they taxi 31, crossing variours areas u should not be, or come close to it.
Using the runway #'s in your radio call is simply smart and is a safe practice. it will prevent confusion, which works both ways it protects pilots and controllers. and safes your ASS or Tickect
XXX is cleared to taxi to runway X
" for take off runway X
" for x approach runway X
" for landing runway X
The Captain U are flying with "in this paticular case is wrong"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back