Radiation and Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fatdumbhappy

As I am sure most of you are aware, our profession puts us all into the top 5% of radiation exposure(in dose) among all professions dealing with radiation in the U.S.
Does anyone know if our exposures will increase significantly as we fly up at altitude near the jetstream because of the radiation caused by the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan?

Just food for thought!

No.

+1

A pilot could fly 2000hrs of transcons @ FL450 and still not be at the FAA-recommended 20 mSv annual exposure limit.

I'd hazard to guess there was substantially more radiation in the atmosphere from above-ground nuclear testing in the 70s and 80s thanks to France & China ignoring the Partial Test Ban Treaty than what we'll see from the Fukushima site.

I just read an excerpt from one of our recent union blastmails. The doctor writing the article said that airline pilots are exposed to 50% more radiation than the general public.

Yet the public, in some circles, feels we are overpaid.

I just read an excerpt from one of our recent union blastmails. The doctor writing the article said that airline pilots are exposed to 50% more radiation than the general public.

Yet the public, in some circles, feels we are overpaid.

And it still isn't a dangerous amount

I corresponded with an expert in radiation and was told that we have nothing to worry about. Even flying near the reactor, there has not been enough radiation released to the atmosphere to pose a threat.

I corresponded with an expert in radiation and was told that we have nothing to worry about. Even flying near the reactor, there has not been enough radiation released to the atmosphere to pose a threat.

I'm flying in and out of Narita every day, the levels reported are 100,000 times lower flying out of Tokyo than you are exposed normally by the radiation created just to transmit all this news. People worrying about radiation flying 6,000 miles from Japan is quite frankly just plain silly

I'm flying in and out of Narita every day, the levels reported are 100,000 times lower flying out of Tokyo than you are exposed normally by the radiation created just to transmit all this news. People worrying about radiation flying 6,000 miles from Japan is quite frankly just plain silly

Wait a minute! are you calling Nancy Grace silly?! Say it ain't so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsDomUQ-fYM

Second thought, you're right. That guy is crazy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back