Radar side effects

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

akseiner

I thought this topic would be here, but couldn't find it in a search. While most pilots make sure the radar is off so they don't "fry the rampers", what about the pilots? I know some airlines require the radar to be on all the time to scare the birds away (I am a skeptic), but it seems to me there has to be some rays bouncing back.

I just wear a hat made of aluminum foil. That keeps away all the radar waves and stops the people in the black helicopters from reading my mind.

But seriously, Talk to your dermatologist about sun exposure above 30,000 feet. Now there is a serious health threat you can do something about. Hint:Sunscreen.

The radar antenna directs almost all of it's energy forward and the return off what ever the return is is micro. The old radars used a lot of power, watts, to let the old receivers pick up the echo but now receivers are so sensitive high power is unnecessary. The old ones could set off flash bulbs because of their power. For young folks we used flash bulbs before strobe flash.

The radar antenna directs almost all of it's energy forward and the return off what ever the return is is micro. The old radars used a lot of power, watts, to let the old receivers pick up the echo but now receivers are so sensitive high power is unnecessary. The old ones could set off flash bulbs because of their power. For young folks we used flash bulbs before strobe flash.

Agreed. But even with the older, more powerful radars a person would have to stand within 10' directly in front of the radar for several minutes before adverse affects would occur (skin irritation, burns, etc...).

In the Collins WXR 2100 operators handbook (installed on many Airbus and Boeing aircraft) it says

"The WXR-2100 power density is half or less than that of the microwave oven standard." and "Some sources suggest that any radiation exposure can be harmful, especially long term. Each airline must make their own decision on this, as exposure to radiation is occasionally cited by an employee as a cause of some physical injury."

So my recommendation it to stay away from your home microwave. My aunt was hired to help a woman die comfortably and the doctor said this woman didn't have much longer to live. She had some condition where her skin and organs started to become as hard as a rock from an unknown cause. My aunt removed the microwave from the woman's house and the woman is now almost fully recovered. Apparently the microwave and food cooked in it can really screw you up. My mom just removed her microwave but I still have one.

Last edited:
In the Collins WXR 2100 operators handbook (installed on many Airbus and Boeing aircraft) it says

"The WXR-2100 power density is half or less than that of the microwave oven standard." and "Some sources suggest that any radiation exposure can be harmful, especially long term. Each airline must make their own decision on this, as exposure to radiation is occasionally cited by an employee as a cause of some physical injury."

So my recommendation it to stay away from your home microwave. My aunt was hired to help a woman die comfortably and the doctor said this woman didn't have much longer to live. She had some condition where her skin and organs started to become as hard as a rock from an unknown cause. My aunt removed the microwave from the woman's house and the woman is now almost fully recovered. Apparently the microwave and food cooked in it can really screw you up. My mom just removed her microwave but I still have one.

What was she doing, drying her hair in it?

I know some airlines require the radar to be on all the time to scare the birds away...

Really? Which ones?

Sully's airbus got hit, I'm sure the PWS (predictive wind shear) radar was running.

What was she doing, drying her hair in it?

People react to things differently. It is weird to think of off the strange allergies that people have.

Removing the microwave was just a small part of the things this women did to change her lifestyle. She also started only eating fresh foods and mostly uncooked items. Her skin felt like a rock but it is slowly becoming normal again. They think what triggered her condition was her bodies reaction to breast implants.

I was always told RADAR will keep birds away. It has been my game for the last 10 years, in many different types, 737, DHC 8, to test this theory. I point the airplane at the birds on the side of the runway and turn on the RADAR. I have never seen them do anything. Just sit there and laugh at me. So, I am skeptical, but still do use it on takeoff.

Latest resources

Back