Radar coverage from Ghana to Amsterdam?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Does anybody know what the radar coverage is like going up through Africa (from Ghana 5N) to Amsterdam. Obviously europe has good comm and radar but how is it from Ghana northword?

Thanks

Does anybody know what the radar coverage is like going up through Africa (from Ghana 5N) to Amsterdam. Obviously europe has good comm and radar but how is it from Ghana northword?

Thanks

Northern Africa and southern Africa have radar coverage.....just about everything in the middle is every man for himself pretty much. HF position reports to someone...... and I stress someone.....Accra, Ghana if I remember does have radar. I was vectored for the approach to an ILS there 2 summers ago and they did an OK job. We came out of the Azores on our way to Harare, Zimbabwe and used Accra as a fuel stop....

Just keep your TCAS on....Make position reports on the required frequencies that are on the charts ( don't worry if no one answers you)....use the air to air freq to let everyone else know where you are and if possible fly as high as you can. Lots of airline traffic going north south...We were in a G3 and pretty much stayed at or above FL410....and keep your eyes open.....

Once you get north of Ghana, radar coverage is nonexistant until you get to about 2/3 of the way into Algeria.
As CT Flyer said, keep an eye on the TCAS, as well as 126.9, the air to air all stations frequency.
Depending on your route, you might be able to stay VHF with Niamey and Algiers, otherwise HF is the norm.

Had Lagos "radar" climb an opposite direction aircraft right through our altitude last week, resulting in an RA.
Just keep your eyes open!

Plenty of SA-2/3 sites and ZSU-23-4...

The good ol' Accra to Schiphol leg! As I recall HF in Africa is sketchy at best. Not like crossing the North Atlantic where everything is crystal clear and responses are immediate:) The best part of that gig was watching the KLM and Emirates flight attendants by the pool at the Golden Tulip.

Ya, dude... there's nothing between Ghana and Morocco/N Algeria. No RADAR whatsoever. Be sure to monitor and make position reports on the common (126.9, I think). And if you don't have TCAS--good luck my friend.

Here is a link to ASECNA, the French company that handles the ATC in Central and West Africa. http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/index.htm (This is the English site). They have a good map that shows most of the radar coverage in North/West Africa. The further west you go the better, in my opinion (Senegal and Morocco).

Will echo the comments of no radar out there after you leave Accra, until you get into Algeria. Be sure to "meow" a few times for me on Bamako control freq.

Latest resources

Back