R/W Job Market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WRENCH

CFI"s- What is the realistic job market currently like? Are you happy, flying enough, optimistic about the future? I just took an intro flt at Quantum and it was a blast! Way more fun than F/W (flying is supposed to be fun, but the regional airline world is not) How long does one expect to flight instruct, years, expected hours a month? What's the progression-CFI, Grand Canyon, Off Shore, News? I have no idea, but am considering a career change and think EMS or News would suite me well. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

See my other post on the subject, I would say "you are crazy!"

Stay fixed wing. Next to NYC corp, EMS is the top of the helicopter pilot positions and it isnt even as good as being a regional airline captain. Why anyone would spend large sums of cash to fly helicopters for a living is beyond me.

because its fun?

What would you rather do (assuming if money wasnt' a factor), go fly a big jet where you take off and flip a switch (auto pilot), or actually have your hands on the controls the entire flight?

There ain't nothing like flying a helicopter! If you haven't done so, your missing out (general reference, not refering to you) .

one of the problems is that generally you do not fly much at all, EMS might get you 10hrs a month. Plus the majority of it is VFR flying going to the same hospitals/locations over and over again which isnt very challenging(translation=bored).
Sure helicopter flying can be "fun" at first but the "fun" wears off quick. I personally have much more fun flying fixed wing to different airports, in different weather, with different passengers, and in IFR.
I love watching movies but you dont see me making a living working in a movie theater because that wouldnt pay the bills. For many, many, many years you also wont be able to pay the bills as a helicopter pilot trying to build hours.

I would imagine that getting a RW job would be difficult. Your competition would be coming out of the military, where they have been flying turbine in all sorts of weather. It's hard to compete with that if you're coming from an R22.

Stay fixed wing and if you ever get a good left seat, fly RW for fun.

psysicx said:
Can helo guys make 70K?

why not?

A very good EMS job pays that much.

But to get up in the 80-90's range you will need to be a very experienced corporate pilot. I don't think i've ever heard about anyone making more than 100k. Althought Donald Trump's pilots (who all have in excess of 10k hours) probably make some good cash.

I don't understand how people say thats bad money.Plus your home everyday and you get paid to sleep.

Carl_Spackler said:
I would imagine that getting a RW job would be difficult. Your competition would be coming out of the military, where they have been flying turbine in all sorts of weather. It's hard to compete with that if you're coming from an R22.

Stay fixed wing and if you ever get a good left seat, fly RW for fun.

Not necessarily true. I have 250 hours helo time, 1000 total time right now. Not even the grand canyon will look at me for a helo job, even though they fly Bell 206's. I have about 150 hours in a 206, and the rest of my helo in the apache. All turbine helo time. R22 guys are getting the jobs, even though they have never touched a turbine.

Their feeling is, they want 1000 helo time. And, an R22 is a hell of alot harder to fly than a 206. They figure if you can fly an R22 for 1000 hours, you can fly anything.

Name the EMS job paying 70K? Where? Who? I will apply tomorrow.

No one I know of pays even close to 70K.

After 10yrs, you might make 60K.

Starting pay in EMS is about 46K(+/-5K) and goes up slowly after that.

Thats the facts.

Latest resources

Back